Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: let trees grow taller than 1 z level  (Read 627 times)

prinnyzombie

• Bay Watcher
  • like my horrible painting? yah its awesome
    • View Profile
let trees grow taller than 1 z level
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:48 am »

so i did a few searches and the only place i found reference to letting trees grow taller is in this post http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22308.msg243631#msg243631

forgive me if its been suggested before plz and just ignore this thread

anyways - my suggestion is this - i would like trees to be able to grow taller than 1 z lvl - maybe 2-3 z lvls max depending on the tree
taller trees would reward more wood when cut down
it just seems odd that i can build a tower 2 z lvls - which is prolly 3-5 times the height of a dwarf and yet all the trees are only 1 z lvl

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: let trees grow taller than 1 z level
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:25:26 am »

Yea, I would love to see this happen.
Taller and wider, with massive ones found in forest retreats, but I have no idea how toady would do this, but if he can kudos to him!

prinnyzombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:30:52 am »

im not a programmer - so i may be speaking out of my ass saying this but as to how i think he could do it -

water flows outwards and can flow upwards - so i would think that to make a tree grow taller and wider would be very similar to that with alot of restrictions - but if it had to check every tree quite often to see if it gets bigger i imagine it would hurt framerate

maybe when a tree got to max size it would be pulled outta the list for checking to see if it can grow more -
as i said tho - i have no idea if thats doable cuz i know nothing

Fensfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:48 am »

One of DF's long..ish (though far from the longest) term goals is to rework trees into multi-tile jobs, growing multiple z-levels tall. In some cases, freaking massive in fact.

It's one of the prerequisites for the eventual shift for elves from forest-floor dwelling hobos to full fledged tree city builders.

prinnyzombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:37 am »

cool :D
maybe i should lock this thread then as toady is already planning on doing this