Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [water] Pump the water out of the map  (Read 2427 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[water] Pump the water out of the map
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:19:37 am »

Has anyone tried subj?
I mean, start with big lake or something, then somehow (may be, magma-way) border it out, and them pump all the remaining water out of the map. Could it even work somehow?
As i understand, it needs really special map with some downhills on the edges.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [water] Pump the water out of the map
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:34:48 am »

make a point lower on the map be the drain, and then use fortifications on the edge.  It's totally do-able.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:54:09 am »

I believe you can also simply build an aqueduct to the edge of the map on the surface and the water will disappear.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:10:39 pm »

I believe you can also simply build an aqueduct to the edge of the map on the surface and the water will disappear.

I don't think you can build to the very edge of the map.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:12 pm »

You can with bridges.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »

If it's static water, then yes. Something like a river or sea might not be permanently drainable because it can refill from the edge of the map... Also, the lag you would get from the flow if you were trying to drain a section of sea would be huge.

Hmm, thinking about it - does the sea stop above the cavern layers, or continue to the bottom of the map like it did in older versions? If there is a cavern underneath it, you could drain it from below...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 04:00:48 pm »

You can with bridges.
You might as well atomsmash the water when you're at it. Your point?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 02:25:12 pm »

If it's static water, then yes. Something like a river or sea might not be permanently drainable because it can refill from the edge of the map... Also, the lag you would get from the flow if you were trying to drain a section of sea would be huge.

Hmm, thinking about it - does the sea stop above the cavern layers, or continue to the bottom of the map like it did in older versions? If there is a cavern underneath it, you could drain it from below...

I've noticed that the sea is fairly shallow in this version, at least around the shore, where you can actually have a fortress. You could very easily drain it to the caverns, and since it's shallow it shouldn't be too laggy. (but still too laggy for me to want to do it.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 04:30:07 pm »

I've noticed that the sea is fairly shallow in this version, at least around the shore, where you can actually have a fortress. You could very easily drain it to the caverns, and since it's shallow it shouldn't be too laggy. (but still too laggy for me to want to do it.)

A single shaft connecting the caverns to the the sea from below was enough to drain it down to just one z-level (although some of it may have actually been draining into the aquifer halfway down - I'm not sure), but there was quite a lot of lag: I think it would have been better if I had funnelled the water off the map rather than letting it just spread everywhere. I made the mistake of trying to drain that last z-level with a 4x4 vertical shaft, and that dragged my FPS down to less than 1... but it did flood the cavern so was quite awesome to watch until the game crashed.

Still, if you were careful and didn't mind quite bad lag then I think this method could be used to drain a large section of sea so long as you set up a floodgate, door or hatch with lever control so you could turn off the drain once you'd built the necessary walls and floors.

Meteorswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:28 pm »

Dropping a bin of burning coal into the ocean will evaporate it away, as will a magma man (try it in the arena!).  Of course, getting the magma man to stay put is a little tricky, you might have to come up with a solution for that, and the bin won't burn forever.

Be prepared for the lag of a lifetime when you do this, though.