Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How am I supposed to get immigrants now?!  (Read 1453 times)

SnuffleKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How am I supposed to get immigrants now?!
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:54:08 am »

Okay, so, the wiki informs me that immigration is based on the wealth of my fortress, as reported by the caravans. But the thing is, I was a bit slow about getting my fort sorted around the time the first caravan arrived, so I received no immigrants that first season. No problem, except now this has happened:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He just goes berserk right off the bat? It's madness. His guard killed him, then left, and then the donkey went insane as well. The bright side to all of this is that I got some free stuff; for whatever that's worth.

-Snuffles

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: How am I supposed to get immigrants now?!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:18:54 am »

Clearly your fortress is cursed, the sight of it makes even donkeys go insane...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 06:47:17 am »

Maybe he was having a bad day...

Did you check his status page?

I've heard of npc dwarves getting unhappy if they're stuck on your map for a long time, but so soon after arriving on the map? hmm...

Maybe it's an unexpected effect of using dwarves created during world gen for NPC positions like liasons and merchants? It could be that his entire family was killed a year before world gen ended, but world gen doesn't check happiness levels so it only registered what his mood should be when he came onto your map?

All just theories, lol. Maybe try savescumming and looking him up in legends mode?

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13:50 am »

Clearly it was the sight of so many untouched trees and plants that drove him to madness.

You know what to do.

Seriously, though, I agree with Dave. He probably got a lot of family murdered in world gen and the game doesn't track happiness outside of your fortress, so the minute he walked onto the map he remembered all his dead family and went berserk. Can you backup your save and check legends?
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »

Why are we looking for a cause when the cure is so simple? Go kill the bastard!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:39:26 pm »

You'll still get migrants. I was once channeling out a moat and the caravan walked across the channel designated square at the same moment the miner dug it out. They were trapped in the empty moat. They went berserk, died and I made a ramp to retrieve their loot. Migrants still came even though the caravan never made it off the map. As a bonus, one of my dwarfs made an artifact using the bones of the merchant.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!