Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to survive freezing areas when embarking.  (Read 3706 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to survive freezing areas when embarking.
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:03:26 pm »

I'm actually going to try and contribute to the forums. This OP will be made into a guide for surviving the cold, icy touches of the poles! Please help and provide usefull info, and I'll add it in this post. As with the new farming system-You have to irrigate to farm. In freezing areas, water is always ice-Therefore, no water to irrigate with, therefore no food, therefore no booze as you need plants to brew. Anyway, post your tips, hints and tricks!

1. Embark with an aquifer. Aquifers are easy to breach as, if exposed to the surface, water that leaks out will freeze, allowing you to just dig past it. Then you can use that same aquifer to provide water for your underground farms.

2. Dig in fast, even if you don't have an aquifer, breaching the caverns is a simple staircase, feeding your dwarves is just as easy afterwards.

Avoid evil tundras and taigas, werewolves are guaranteed to charge right down your entryway and murder anything and everything.

Bring your own wood. Bring many many barrels and hundreds of units of food and beer. Forget your anvils and metalworking equipment, miners and farmers are your most important workers here, any you may want to bring a couple extra.

Mechanics should be brought and trained up to create a pump stack and waterwheels if you want a fortress near the fortress and want to supply water.

Don't go outside, if you set the minimum temperature low enough your dwarves, and definitely your animals, will freeze to death quickly.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:00:31 am by x2yzh9 »

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to survive freezing areas when embarking.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:05:28 pm »

Embark with an aquifer. Aquifers are easy to breach as, if exposed to the surface, water that leaks out will freeze, allowing you to just dig past it. Then you can use that same aquifer to provide water for your underground farms.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »

Bring extra booze. That fixes everything, as far as my dwarves are concerned.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:40 pm »

Dig in fast, even if you don't have an aquifer, breaching the caverns is a simple staircase, feeding your dwarves is just as easy afterwards.

Avoid evil tundras and taigas, werewolves are guaranteed to charge right down your entryway and murder anything and everything.

Bring your own wood. Bring many many barrels and hundreds of units of food and beer. Forget your anvils and metalworking equipment, miners and farmers are your most important workers here, any you may want to bring a couple extra.

Mechanics should be brought and trained up to create a pump stack and waterwheels if you want a fortress near the fortress and want to supply water.

Don't go outside, if you set the minimum temperature low enough your dwarves, and definitely your animals, will freeze to death quickly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:41:55 pm »

If you set the temperature of your world low enough, the first thing you need to do is immediately dig a small undercover area right next to the wagon, make it your meeting zone, and quantum dump all your belongings in it.

If the world is too cold, your beer freezes and your wood ceases to exist after a bit of time. After that you go down to the caverns right away and start farming.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:57:12 pm »

Since the inside of a fortress is a set temperature regardless of the outdoor temperature, carrying ice indoors to use it in constructions will result in it melting and the water forming a puddle on the floor and, if I recall correctly, creating a muddy tile. At least, that's how it worked in that last version as I haven't tried it in this version.

Does it still work that way?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:58:53 pm by Ubiq »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:12:06 am »

Since the inside of a fortress is a set temperature regardless of the outdoor temperature, carrying ice indoors to use it in constructions will result in it melting and the water forming a puddle on the floor and, if I recall correctly, creating a muddy tile. At least, that's how it worked in that last version as I haven't tried it in this version.

Does it still work that way?

No, never has.

You need 1/7 water, which is different than just regular "water" which is considered to be splatter to be cleaned. Sort of the same thing as spilled booze, but it will not create mud.