Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about levers and hatch covers (40d)  (Read 493 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about levers and hatch covers (40d)
« on: May 01, 2010, 03:59:06 pm »

Quick question here.  It would take too long to set this up just to test it and I'm sure some people here know the answer.  I'm thinking of setting up a trap for each noble room where there's a small dead end with a lever at the end, and on the tile next to it a hatch cover linked to the lever covering a death pit, like the following:

------
   O \|
------

- :walls
O :hatch cover over pit
\ :lever

If I direct a dwarf to pull the lever, standing on the cover, will it open fast enough to drop the dwarf in the pit?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Question about levers and hatch covers (40d)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:02:46 pm »

Hatch covers open instantly (0 tick delay), so it will open the moment the lever is pulled.  The problem is that dwarves don't stand adjacent to levers to pull them, they stand *on* the lever.  So the dwarf pulling the lever won't fall into the pit.  He will however be trapped on the tile the lever is on, if the hatch cover is the only path out.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:07 pm »

Okay, damn.  I'm trying to come up with the quickest and simplest way to dispose of unwanted nobles if necessary.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »

Popular option is to not dispose of them quickly.

Have a lever which seals the only exit to the room and profile it so only the noble who owns it will flip it.  Bonus points for opening a hatch above the room which floods it with water / magma / goblins / all of the above.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »

or you could build a bridge that is long which will drop the noble down when he goes back from the lever