Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rebooting the "feed me" counter  (Read 578 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
rebooting the "feed me" counter
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:50 pm »

In the past, you could always tear the bed out from under a dwarf to reboot the counter that made them scream out for food.  Now I have a dwarf who walked herself into the unfinished hospital and sat down in the corner of an examination room.  How do I get either her or someone else to rescue her and start the feeding process (hopefully before she dies of dehydration).  She's listed as "resting."

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: rebooting the "feed me" counter
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »

cave-in?

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:44:08 pm »

Make sure you have buckets, a source of water and an idle dwarf with the 'feed wounded' (or something like that) labour. If she is 'resting' she must be injured.

If she's in an empty square, try adding a bed to your hospital (if there isn't one already) - she may get moved to it. Alternatively build a bed underneath her and hope that triggers something?

Placing a drink stockpile underneath her and making sure some booze gets hauled there might be enough for her to drink, but it depends on the 'resting' thing...

Also check her wounds page to see that she is the one that needs food/drink. If she is carrying a baby with her and it's the baby that is thirsty, no one will bring water for it because it isn't injured (but it will drink when she drinks, or if you do the drink stockpile thing mentioned above).

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 05:15:52 pm »

One of my carpenters was lying on the floor of my hospital, and no one brought him water until I built a bed under him.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:08:01 pm »

build a spike trap under him with a single wooden training spear (you can build traps under creatures). Link it to a lever and give it a pull. The spike should give him a bruise somewhere which will hopefully make him reconsider his condition. If not, try pulling it a few more times - there's no real danger from a wooden training spear (unless you leave the thing on repeat for a long time) so don't worry too much about hurting him.

Note this also works for the infinite suturing/bandaging bug if you can get them to stand on the trap. It also got a hunter who was bugged (thought he couldn't walk even though he could) to start working again.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:40:25 pm »

BurnedToast, you are my hero.

Not the wounded dwarf's hero, as she died while the entire fortress was either being spat at by an armless footless every-part-red-but-not-dead-yet beast, or picking their nose.

But your solution is much more awesome than building a bed under the wounded.  (Oh yeah, Sizik, thanks for the idea.)

@mongoose: I had many buckets, a source of water, and (until the battle started) 9-10 idle dwarves sitting around with their default healthcare settings.  This problem of dwarves forgetting to water their friends is as old as the 3d hills.