Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possibly a new way to train miners?  (Read 1858 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Possibly a new way to train miners?
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:15:29 pm »

So the other day, I thought, "hey, you can assign dwarves to use picks in the new military screen.  Wonder if that's still what they train  when fighting with them."

So basically, the idea is to draft some trainees into a squad that includes picks in it's uniform settings.  Then allow them to train for awhile and see if their mining skill goes up.  If it worked, it could potentially be very useful - and in more ways than one.  For one thing, consider the breaching of the hidden fun stuff.
Spoiler: Actual spoilers (click to show/hide)

Alas, my computer runs the current version of DF rather slowly, so it would take some time for me to fully test this.  I'm sure someone else out there could get the job done faster, though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:17:24 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly a new way to train miners?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »

It's an interesting idea... At the moment removing soldiers from the military is a little buggy, but once that's fixed I can see this as an effective way to keep your non-legendary miners busy and training while the legendary ones mine the high value ore clusters.

I'll give it a try when I get the chance, see if it really does raise mining (it might be considered an exploit or bug if it does, though).

As for the HFS idea:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:18:38 am »

i just tested this, it does in fact raise mining. quite fast actually

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 02:22:34 am »

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
[NAME:pick:picks]
[SIZE:500]
[SKILL:MINING]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:42500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]

Yea, it uses the mining skill in combat rather then another skill, and trains mining.
I once modded in spades that use the planting skill and had legendary planters by means of combat.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:36:10 am »

after letting a dwarf with 0 mining skill do individual combat drills with a pick for 1 season (actually a little less than since i took a couple minutes building a carpenter's shop / armor stand), he became a professional miner. at this rate it'd take about 2 seasons to get a legendary miner just from training (and they gain fighter skill as well)

[edit] although actually get him to mine is proving problematic. or do any work for that matter.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:41:38 am by AncientEnemy »

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:23:47 am »

[edit] although actually get him to mine is proving problematic. or do any work for that matter.
Yeah, its a known bug. Anyone who ever had individual combat drill, will not work again anymore. They obey kill/move orders tho.

MTJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 07:31:41 am »

Yeah, its a known bug. Anyone who ever had individual combat drill, will not work again anymore. They obey kill/move orders tho.

Removing the barrack designation from the room they're training in, has worked for me.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 07:45:17 am »

usually works for me as well. didn't this time. then i completely eradicated all barracks / squads / militia commander position, no effect. it was weird because he'd half-acknowledge labor, if i set him to woodcutting he'd pick up an axe, but not chop trees. same with mining, pick but no digging. oh well.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 08:21:22 am »

I once modded in spades that use the planting skill and had legendary planters by means of combat.

I guess you could say the planted pain in the skulls of their enemies.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 09:09:25 am »

It'd be like a mining swat team. Making a forced entry into the clown crack house that we call hell. Get them some wrestler training and give them plenty of war dogs.

Maybe even get them swimming so they can also be AMPHIBIOUS! SCUBA dwarves diving into the underground pool to wrestle cave crocs would be sweet.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 10:40:22 am »

usually works for me as well. didn't this time. then i completely eradicated all barracks / squads / militia commander position, no effect. it was weird because he'd half-acknowledge labor, if i set him to woodcutting he'd pick up an axe, but not chop trees. same with mining, pick but no digging. oh well.
Hmm.  Maybe try temporarily eliminating the squad?  I suppose that once they were working again you could reassemble the squad and just not have them train, since that seems to be the problem.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 10:54:29 am »

I guess you could say the planted pain in the skulls of their enemies.

Haha, you should have seen the legendary butchers on the battle field. My god there was CARNAGE!

[shameless act of self promotion that should get a hammering]
I can link you to the download if you want to try it out.
[/egotistic suggestion]