Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty barrels and going outside (two questions)  (Read 328 times)

Jerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noahvale.livejournal.com
Empty barrels and going outside (two questions)
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:30:25 am »

1.  How do I set empty barrels aside to be only used for brewing drinks?   It seems that barrels get taken for other stuff as soon as I buy/make them.  Can I set a bunch of barrels to be used only for drinks?

2.  In 40d, there was a "Dwarves do not go outside" toggle.  I have not seen the same here.  There are burrows, but even if I set a burrow within the fort and assign all dwarves to it, I *think* that I've seen them wander out of it.   The big deal here is that when a siege or ambush strikes, I like to lock the fort down and keep the dwarves safe inside.  But they're wandering outside and getting slaughtered.   The only other thing that I know to do is to actually lock the fort down, completely sealing all entrances (and leaving those stuck outside to get killed.)

Thanks!

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty barrels and going outside (two questions)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:54:56 am »

Not sure about 1, but for 2, burrows should work just fine. I used them occasionally and never had any issues with dwarves leaving the burrow area.
As soon as I enable an alert for my dwarves to stay within a burrow (if you assign them to the burrow directly they'll always stick to that, not just when an alert is active),
they drop everything and run towards the burrow and stay in there even if it means they die from thirst or hunger.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:18:18 pm »

1) Stockpile designation menu, there's a "reserve some barrels" option for just this

2) Burrows can be used in 2 ways: manually assign dwarves to them, or just say "every civilian, get in here" through the alert system.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:41:32 pm »

To make sure barrels are only used for booze I make separate food stockpiles for booze, prepared meals, and everything else, with 0 barrels allowed on all but the booze stockpile.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »

It takes a bit of time for Dwarfs to limit themselves to a burrow the first time. Once they figure out where they should and should not be, they generally go straight into the burrow from the 2nd time on.