Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reducing the ammount of veins and clusters in the new release  (Read 840 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

how can i do that?

Torgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reducing the ammount of veins and clusters in the new release
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:59:02 pm »

Yeah, it does feel like a "Monty Hall" situation now. Compared to last version, you look for a place *without* ore or gems, instead of looking *for* them.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »

what bothers me is that i'm dumping thousands of stones to be atom smashed, still i'll be cluttered with hundreds of silver nuggets that i feel i shouldn't be forced to throw away

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:16:56 pm »

I am pretty sure everything appearance is cranked up to allow for testing... In later versions it will be turned back down.

If you really want to fiddle with things... I think lines like this->

Code: [Select]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SATINSPAR:CLUSTER_ONE:100]

The 100 at the end is a percent chance they will appear. I am not sure but it seems reasonable.. perhaps if you lowered it you would have their numbers drop.

If you have a magma smelter though you can have piles of silver bars, which would go good behind a throne.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »

As of 40d the number back their was a type of probability of it appearing. What the game did was take the numbers for everything that could possibly be their and then it gave you a # of stone over total # of all stones added together. If that logic still applies, all that reducing the stone numbers will do is messing with the types of stones that appear depending on the new ratios. You would still have the same amount of ores overall.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »

yeah, i did that and it didn't seem to reduce anything, i reduced every mineral and gem to a tenth of its value, still i get everything i used to get, and probably ten times more diamonds, though i havent actually confirmed this...
maybe if i made layer stones apear as veins in their own layers... gotta try this

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »

yeah, i did that and it didn't seem to reduce anything, i reduced every mineral and gem to a tenth of its value, still i get everything i used to get, and probably ten times more diamonds, though i havent actually confirmed this...
maybe if i made layer stones apear as veins in their own layers... gotta try this

I tried this, couldn't get it to work. Anyone sorted this one out? Having all the stuff handed to me is really starting to annoy me.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:30:01 pm »

i made duplicates of the layer stones appear as layers, clusters and large clusters on the original layers: for example, made a rock identical to granite but gave it the raw name of GRANITE2, removed the layer tag, etc. this will make granite appear twice on every rock list (stockpiles, z screen, etc.), will show a "you've struck granite" message when you are already mining granite(when it hits a granite vein) and wont reduce the occurrence of minerals much. It is also a lot of work to do this for every stone, so i don't recommend it

Gudamor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 01:55:13 am »

I think an easier way to do this is just mod all your smelting reactions to take 2x/3x times as much ore as normal. While you still end up with tons of veins, it won't correlate to an overabundance of metal. It's rather more realistic, since one unit of ore will, in real life, likely not produce one unit of metal. This might not be what you're after, however.