Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: haunted tombs  (Read 897 times)

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
haunted tombs
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »

We've had a lot of underground diversity added, but there's one cool thing left to go, I think.  Ancient tombs for your dwarfs to dig into, filled with treasure but also traps and the undead.  You would get a warning before disturbing the tomb, the way damp or warm stone work.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: haunted tombs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »

This sounds.. familiar somehow..  ???

catsplosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:07:44 pm »

Toady has spoken to the effect that he wants to have these, but not until there's an in-universe reason for them.

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:23:09 am »

It's on the dev list - I think it's even a core item.  Have no fear, it's coming!

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:50:52 pm »

Toady has spoken to the effect that he wants to have these, but not until there's an in-universe reason for them.

In  the real world we have ancient tombs all over the place (although because they're not haunted the treasure is almost always gone from them).  However, Dwarf Fortress world generation simulates a rather short time period (on the scale of real-world history) and, if I understand correctly, deals with rather low populations too.  Thus, I don't think it would be immersion-breaking to have tombs built by a "forgotten people" in Dwarf Fortress even on a site where no historical figures lived and died.

Then again, I favor a much higher level of abstraction for world generation than what appears to be planned by the developer.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:24:56 pm »

/hand shoots up

Hey, how about in Reclaim Fortress mode?  If your old fort had any tombs/graves, they could be haunted by the dwarfs who were buried there.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 09:27:22 am »

/hand shoots up

Hey, how about in Reclaim Fortress mode?  If your old fort had any tombs/graves, they could be haunted by the dwarfs who were buried there.

I think that is planned too
Thank you based dwarf.