Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with stairs  (Read 294 times)

ninco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help with stairs
« on: April 29, 2010, 04:13:21 pm »

new to the game and building my first fort anyway built these up/down stairs on a level and then designated up/down stairs on each level for five levels down. I'm guessing this was my mistake because now i can't actually build up/down stairs on any of the levels it says construction present and on a few of them blocked. Also my kitchen makes miasma which i didn't know about is this a problem ? 

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with stairs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:32:23 pm »

Your first question could be worded better, I think, it's not easy to see what you're trying to ask (I mean: what the hell are you talking about?!  :P) One thing to bear in mind about constructions is that they can be funny about being built one on top of another, and that each 3-D tile (x*y*z) actually contains a "floor" and a "wall": if the "floor" has been channelled out, you won't be able to designate/carve a downward staircase, and if the "wall" has been dug out, you likewise can't then designate/carve an upward staircase (hence constructions, which are like "transplants" in these cases).

As for miasma, it's not a huge problem if your dwarves are otherwise happy enough (passing through a miasma cloud gives a small negative thought, just make sure they don't overdo it). Miasma is caused by degradables (meat, un-tanned hides, corpses, etc.) rotting inside; when you see a "rotten blah blah", the best thing to do is to make a garbage dump zone somewhere outside and flag the offending article for dumping.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with stairs
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:41:48 pm »

If your kitchen is making miasma it means your food is rotting - make sure you have enough food stockpiles and barrels.

If it's a butcher's workship that is making miasma, it could also be hide (which can be made into leather at a tanners workshop) - a refuse stockpile will hold hide (and other by-products of butchering like skulls and bones) if you don't want to make it into leather.

A bit confused by your first question, but hopefully some of this will answer it:

* if you (d)esignate up stairs or up/down stairs, they will be dug out of the rock and will fill the tile they are in. If you want to build something else where they are, you need to use the designation 'remove upward ramp/stairs' first.

* if you (d)esignate down stairs, they will be dug out of the floor but will not obstruct regular buildings. They will only obstruct constructions that use the floor (like up/down stairs or down stairs).

* if you (b)uild some (C)onstructed up stairs or up/down stairs, they will be made out of the material you choose and will fill the tile they are in. If you want to build something else where they are, you need to use the designation 'remove construction' first.

* if you (b)uild some (C)onstructed down stairs, they will be built in place of the floor. If you want to build something else where they are, you need to use the designation 'remove construction' first.

The main things to remember are that if you have already mined out a tile, you can only dig a downward staircase there. If you want an upward or up/down staircase, you will need to build one.

Likewise, if you have dug an upward or up/down staircase, you cannot build anything in that tile unless you remove the 'upward' part. This will leave you with an empty floor or a downward staircase (which can be built over), depending on the type you started with.

If you have dug or built an upward staircase and want an up/down staircase instead, you need to remove the upward staircase (with the appropriate designation) AND channel out the floor (again, with the appropriate designation) before you can construct an up/down staircase in it's place. You can actually skip the remove step if you dug the staircase, since channelling will do that for you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:02:03 am by Dave Mongoose »