Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [FORUM] Tag edit as minor  (Read 955 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FORUM] Tag edit as minor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 11:59:18 am »

Exactly. What is the point of this suggestion, besides to troll people in your own OP?

Eh, when I see a page long post was edited, I'd rather not read through it again just to discover the writer had just fixed a couple grammatical errors.

You know, the edit would be tagged as minor. That leaves a trace and can be displayed with a little circled M in a corner if really deemed necessary. The functionality should be achievable without downsides.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:07:40 pm »

Hi!

Well, that is author responsibility.

Usually, when I modify the content of a longer post in a meaningful manner which is not directly obvious, I also either put EDIT right in front of the added passage, or put EDIT at the bottom of the post describing what I have done.

If you have important changes to make to your post, you should tell people explicitly about them anyway, so putting such markers there seems reasonable.

Deathworks

P.S.: Yes, I know, I didn't do it for the post where I added the example dialogue in hindsight, but in that case, the new addition was clearly discernable for those who had already read the post in its original form. The additional EDIT is really most useful if there are slight changes that would be hard to notice otherwise.

EDIT: P.P.S: Or putting it the other way around, I will only re-read a post if I can see a significant change (addition of a table, for instance) or if I see an explicit marker as to what has been changed. Otherwise, I will assume that it was only a minor typo correction or some such. (Of course, when arguing heatedly, I may be more likely to check whether someone using foul language has changed their formulations)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:10:20 pm by Deathworks »

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »

Yeah, it's always polite to use an "Edit:" footnote, but I don't really see the need for a utility to make that easier, or a rule to make it mandatory.

Modding BB code isn't Toady's specialty, and it doesn't seem like a justified use of his or any donor's time. We don't need a new mechanical system to replace the time honored "Edit: Spelling and stuff." It only takes a second, and almost everyone already knows what it means.

As to rules, the simple code of "Be as polite as you know how, and don't cause trouble" has served this forum surprisingly well.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: 1 [2]