Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (31.03)Starting a military - looking for detailed instructions of best practice.  (Read 606 times)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have three dwarves that I would like to recruit into my military. One is a hunter that I want to become a marksdwarf, the second has been designated the militia commander, and the third is just an average dwarf. As my last attempt failed completely, apparently due to bugs, I would like to know how to do so without running into dwarf-incapacitating bugs.

I have a single set of leather armour with boots, helm and leggings, some bolts, and the hunter is carrying a crossbow. I've got iron, an anvil and coal, so if I need to forge weapons first, I can do so. I have not yet created a barracks or archery range.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile

My experience with Marksdwarves, is that they fail. As in, I cannot get them to do anything at all.

What you want to do, is to set up a melee squad, axes/swords, set them to inactive, give them a barracks, and tell them to wear uniform while inactive. This way, they'll spend most of their time doing individual combat drills, and becoming legendary sword/axe dwarves in no time!

The issue here, is that they only get skills in the offensive skills. I have not yet been able to have dwarves spar, no matter how mutch I try.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The military is completely unreliable.  It was easy to get superdwarves in 40d, and that combined with the easy construction and OP-ness of weapon traps conditioned players to challenge themselves by relying mostly on dwarves, and on weapon traps hardly at all.  Unfortunately in .03 it seems anything more than a minor reliance on the military is asking for fun.  The one time I got my dwarves to spar, my commander immediately took a serious leg wound from his partner and spent the rest of his (long) life in the hospital as a living suturing-practice-dummy.  If you ever try to change a uniform that you've assigned, you will break your military.  Even if you follow the guidelines about leaving them on inactive they can still get hopelessly bugged.

The one good thing is that dwarves always seem to be able to follow a station order if they are in a squad, as long as they aren't sleeping.  Consequently, the best tactic I've had so far is to assign war animals (large ones) to my military, so that when they inevitably run into battle half naked wielding 4 shields and barrel of wine in their left hand, at least the elephants will avenge them as they get cut down like so many kittens after a catsplosion.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile

Hi!

I have to admit that I have not meddled much with the military yet, but I want to direct your attention to one aspect you may find useful: Armor is very important and powerful in 31, including clothes worn by people. So, I would assume that providing normal clothes for all dwarves and have your military combine them with their armor seems like a useful strategy.

Deathworks

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My suggestion is this: Make a full set of whatever armor you want, including weapons and shields. Create a uniform of these items in the military screen. Once you have a single full set, add a single dwarf to the squad and let him start practicing. Then make a second set after that dwarf has picked up all equipment. Make the full set, then assign a second dwarf to the squad. Wait for him to pick up all equipment, then go for a third set and a third dwarf etc.

This way you should avoid most of the uniform bugs. Remember that you cannot change the uniform after you set it, as the dwarves will become confused as to who owns what etc...

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

i have no advice on creating working marksdwarves. as for setting up a melee military, see my sig

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK for Marksmen I just learned and experianced actual use of an archery range...

Build like normal and stuff with the archery range. Allowing each Range 'room' to overlap with eachother. So if you have three Ranges just let them overlap so that even the other two targets are included in the room. Make sure that the Marksman Squad is the one selected before you hit T on each Target (I use common practice to make ALL parts that are in the room, their own room until its full fixed, as it doesn't seem that extra items in a declared room are included when it comes to barracks. It is also a common mistake to assign you Melee Squads to an Archery Range as the Training list includes them all...

Now make sure you have someone churning out large amounts of Practice bolts, Bones are less common from killed critters now, so you need a good working butchery for that, so stick with Wood if its common enough...

Open Military window. Press f . Next press c to add an item. Select Bolts and then Press shift+c (Capital C) This will remove the C symbol from the list to the right next to the new bolts added. Now these bolts are assigned for Training only, and will not be used in Combat. Add another and hit shift+t (capital T) to remove Training from that one. They will now collect Wooden/Bone for training and Metal for Combat. You can also go as far as highlighting the Bolts in the list, pressing shift+m (capital M) to choose a Material type for the Bolts for a more easier knowledge that they are doing it right...

An Arsenal Dwarf will make this work easier but it should work too... Also make sure you have churned out a good amount of Quivers...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...