Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: on fortress mode how do i make a building  (Read 435 times)

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
on fortress mode how do i make a building
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:08:13 pm »

I press b but it says needs [insert building here] so if i go to build an armor stand it will say "needs armor stand"
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: on fortress mode how do i make a building
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

You need workshops. b > w.

Workshops provide a means of creating furnature (q > a at the workshop, select from the list) at the masons, the carpenter, and the metalsmith. Most "buildings" need furniture (such as an armor rack) to be constructed.

Other than that, you can build constructions (b > C) such as walls and fortifications.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: on fortress mode how do i make a building
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:27:20 pm »

What he's trying to say is that most buildings require you to construct them elsewhere first.

First, do you know about the wiki? http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Workshop

To make most "furniture" (armor stands, beds etc) you need workshops, ie. Mason's Workshop. They create the building, and then you place it, at which point it becomes usable.

Workshops are built from raw materials - stones/wood, as well as glass - and blocks (see wiki for blocks)

To make items, you also require workshops. ie. to make a weapon, you need a Furnace to smelt the ore, and then a Metalsmith's workshop to craft the weapon.

On that note, do be aware that some buildings require special items - metalsmith's workshop, for example, requires an Anvil, and a fire-proof construction material.

Lastly, several buildings - such as everything in the previously mentioned Construction menu and others such as bridges, supports, paved roads - can be built straight from raw materials. For those, be aware that you need a dwarf with Building Designer skill and/or architecture labour enabled. Again, if unsure, see Wiki.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.