Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building Listings  (Read 443 times)

Dark Lord Fluffy Pumpki

• Escaped Lunatic
  • or DLFP or Fluffy or .... call me whatever
    • View Profile
Building Listings
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:48:52 pm »

:o Im here...finally  ;D

Long time player, first time modder, and only just joined the forum community.  Where is a dwarven lasher when you need one  :-\

Im working on the planning of a playable woodfolk race.   Their main skills are mainly from forest resources.  They will have mining abilities, but I dont wish them to be able to do any masonry and metalwork (I will have a custom workshop for other uses for stone and metal).

Is there a way of disabling a workshop, so that it doesnt appear in the workshop list.  For my mod to be feasible, a few workshops would need to be removed from the listing.  I fear that this is hardcoded  :'(

Ive searched the forum a number of times, but havent found my answer.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Building Listings
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 06:12:49 pm »

If you remove the job from the custom creature's entity raws, they shouldn't even be able to make the workshop in the first place.  Just hunt through their entity raws until you find anything about allowed jobs, and remove the tags for the jobs you don't want them to do.

The only annoying bit is if you use that race in Fortress mode, as far as I am aware, a bug remains where you can still get migrants with skills that are disallowed to the race.  This might have been fixed by now but I haven't read anything about it.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Dark Lord Fluffy Pumpki

• Escaped Lunatic
  • or DLFP or Fluffy or .... call me whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »

Thanks Wirevix,

The problem with my idea, is that I probably will still use the mason skill for converting rock to other materal.  So, I would need to workshop disabled.

If worse comes to worse, I will disable to skill completely and think of a workaround.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:39:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure the list of workshops is entirely hardcoded, other than custom workshops.  If your creatures have Masonry as a permitted job, then they can make mason's workshops, and there's no way of removing it from the list other than pretending it isn't there while you play.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

well, you could try to use other skills that aren't really used. On my guide I have a huge list of skills and you could pick through that.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!