Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hauling whole bins  (Read 930 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hauling whole bins
« on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:11 pm »

Is there a way to get my dwarves to only haul full bins for a certain stockpile? I have a green glass block stockpile near my surface and half the time they drag a single block up 100z to put it there instead of putting it in the stockpile next to my magma glass furnace. This also extends to a fair number of other stockpiles, but that one is the worst. Should I just not stockpile them up there til I have enough bins to fill it?

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling whole bins
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:47:58 pm »

This is one of the most oft-requested features.  Not in yet, but presumably coming someday.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:38:02 pm »

You can't do this until the take from stockpile works again but:

1) have the only stockpile for the stockpiled good be near the source. Wait for it to fill with binned goods.
2) make the destination stockpile accept that good, and take from the source stockpile.

This'll get most of it.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:57:20 am »

Couldn't you also do something with burrows? Set up a stockpile in the burrow, fill it, then disable the burrow?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:33:05 am »

I do have a burrow but it's for my magma workers, the haulers are free to move around since half my industry is at the top and half at the bottom.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:26:24 am »

What if you designated a garbage dump where you wanted your glass transported, then marked the bin full of glass for dumping?

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:52 am »

I guess that might work but would take a ton of micromanagement.. I already have a dump -- 100z from the top to my stockpile in the magma works area. Managed to get a straight shot in between all 3 caverns, luckily

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 09:15:28 am »

Hi!

While you can't order them directly, you can actually have the bins moved. However, this requires to forfeit the usage of one stockpile:

First, you need them to put the blocks initially into bins in the stockpile near the furnace.
Then, when you have as many bins as you wish to move, 'q' the stockpile near the furnace:
Deactivate blocks AND set bins accepted to 0.
Provided that there is space for the bins in any other block stockpiles, the bins as a whole will then be carried to the new stockpile.

Theoretically, you should be able to reset the furnace stockpile once the bins are marked for the other stockpile (when loo'k'ing at them, you should see the stockpile number of the target stockpile next to them), but I have not tested that. If you want to make sure, keep the furnace stockpile suspended until the bins are on their way.

The basic transport of complete bins has been confirmed by me as in my current fortress, I initially stored goods without an industry in the part of the fortress for my food stockpiles. Now, I have created my leather industry, and I successfully moved the leather bins I had purchased to the new stockpile, simply by setting the old stockpile to food.

However, make sure you set bins to 0! Otherwise, at least one bin will stay behind and its content will be moved manually!

Deathworks

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:17:14 am »

This is why I embarked with a volcano.  All my industry can stay at teh surface without having to make 100 fire proof corkscrews and pipes.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:32:59 pm »

100z magma pump stacks are more Fun though :)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 12:44:04 pm »

Why stay near the surface?  Just build a long, sloped ramp from your Trade Depot up to one edge of the map!  This makes trapping the entrance easier too, you can fit >300 cage traps in there and have plenty of room to spare!

Besides, there's plenty of 'trees' in the caves nowadays: no dwarf need ever see the sun once he sets foot inside your fortress!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:22 pm »

The majority of my industry is at the surface, as my mega construction soon will be. The caverns are not currently viable because of crundles, 4 forgotten beasts, and various other nasties. I haven't finished mapping them yet either. What I might do though is make an airlock with two bridges and some ramps/pillars to isolate the beasts.

Do FBs destroy retracting bridges before walking over them? Pressure plates? I was thinking I could make a plate-triggered lock trip system (plate triggers a gate which triggers another plate that requires a manual lever reset, basically a reusable plate that can't be triggered multiple times without a reset) that would lock them in a room with cage traps, then lever open a path into fortress for dorfs to replace the cages.