Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Utility question: Is this possible? (Animal Tracker)  (Read 592 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Utility question: Is this possible? (Animal Tracker)
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:36:59 am »

I'm an artist, not a programmer, so I have no idea if this would be possible, but here goes:

A program like Dwarf Therapist, but for livestock, including the following data:
  • Type of Animal (eg Horse, Donkey Foal etc)
  • Fat Amount
  • A toggle to butcher said animal (or grayed out for unbutcherable pets)

Basically I want to be able to see at a glance which animals are inferior to be culled, or superior to breed, and mark the inferior ones for butchery. Being able to sort the animals by the different assets would also be very useful.

Colours of skin/hair/eyes could be an added flavour, but the above are the essential bits.

So.... how impossible would this be to do? I'm a bit sick of having to go through the unit screen and checking each animal to see their size, then writing them down to find which are the best of the breed. It's a lot of back-and-forthing.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
Re: Utility question: Is this possible? (Animal Tracker)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:57:32 pm »

It's certainly possible. Tools like DT already read the entire creature list of a fort and just skip over anything that's not a dwarf. I suppose a show animals only mode could be done. What's so bad about the butcher interface from the stocks screen, though?

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »

It's certainly possible. Tools like DT already read the entire creature list of a fort and just skip over anything that's not a dwarf. I suppose a show animals only mode could be done. What's so bad about the butcher interface from the stocks screen, though?

- it lacks important information like age, physical characteristics, pregnancy status (?) whether it's been assigned to chains/cages or not, etc.
-Ideally, you'd have a primary sort by species, and secondary sorting by gender, and perhaps a tertiary sort by age. Right now, the screen sorts by order of arrival/birth, which is pretty useless.
 - being able to condense the view like items in the stocks screen would be useful (eg, instead of showing every single animal, i could get an overview and see i have 20 horses, 33 cows, 65 dogs, 3 cats, 4 one-humped camels and 5 giant cave spiders; i could then expand the horses, and see that i have 5 female horses, 2 male horses, 6 female horse foals, and 7 male horse foals)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:07:28 pm by Ampoliros »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:29:36 am »

Also the butcher interface doesn't say at a glance whether or not this male horse is the massive/muscular one, or this male horse is, and there's no way to view that (that I've found) other than going to the units list. Then you have to try and match the two animals in the two different screens.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.