Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So, about the new channeling...  (Read 2982 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, about the new channeling...
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 02:09:18 am »

I recently ran into a subtler form of this "bug" (or rather, unintended consequence of a feature change).  I embarked on a map with an exposed volcano caldera (there's an only-1-tile-thick obsidian pipe rising many Z levels straight up in free air, coming out of a hill on a glacier).  I tried to breach the volcano at the base of the pipe where the ground is made of ice.  Somehow instead of burning up in the magma, the miners ended up frozen in ice.  I couldn't figure out exactly what happens but it seems that the chain of events was:

1. dig ramp into volcano
2. step down into the hole
3. magma comes out
4. mirculously miss being fried by magma
5. magma melts ice above the hole
6. water fills the hole
7. water freezes, message says dwarf is frozen in ice

Of course, it would be more reasonable if the dwarves were encased in carbonite (i.e. obsidian) but the message specifically said "ice".
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: So, about the new channeling...
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:02 am »

I don't get why do wee need both the ramp and the channel designations then, they are completley same except for the level they are designated on, on is at the current the other is below it.Old channeling should be brought back, but change it if you think it makes things too easy, slow it down perhaps, but this doesn't work as it is, it just needlesly gives extra work and removes one of the more useful designations in the game
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 2 [3]