Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Railguns: A summer project  (Read 1309 times)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railguns: A summer project
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 07:41:42 pm »

What scale are you aiming for, if your only making a little toy for the power source just find a old pre-digital camera and take out the flash circuit.  I actually made a Gauss gun but was able to fling a nail about three meters with just a old camera and solenoid from a VCR.

EDIT:

Also unless your making a building sized cannon shooting yourself is far less a danger than electrocution.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:46:21 pm by kuro_suna »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 07:47:03 pm »

If I understand correctly, a coilgun uses magnets to continuously accelerate a metal pellet (separate from the circuit) along the way, whereas in railguns the ammunition actually closes the circuit.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 07:52:26 pm »

To make the thing more or less cost-efficient, you may consider aluminium or duraluminium rails... it conducts well and is more durable and cheaper than copper. (Note: I am not a metallurgist)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: 1 [2]