Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Most Glorious Discovery  (Read 1618 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
A Most Glorious Discovery
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:33:53 pm »

After generating a world, I check the civs when beginning a fort. I had noticed that the goblins had died out, their human abductees taking over.

The best part of this world though? Not a single elf has survived to my time. This world is officially elfless.

EDIT: Damnit, those crafty elves. Apparently some escaped to the wilderness. Time to go into adventurer mode and slaughter what is left of them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:36:37 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A Most Glorious Discovery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »

No goblins, and soon-to-be no elves... Sounds like a good world to send to the Age of Twilight/Death.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:58:59 am »

Actually I notice that, in worldgen, it can happen very often.
Playing with a harpy mod I am making I could see they never survive worldgen. And during the many tries, elves, goblins and at times even humans went extinct entirely, leaving only "towns" (instead of *human* towns). Dwarves are the most successful, and even so I had cases of only one dwarven site remaining.
I wonder if something is bugged? (even in vanilla, also tried disabling my customizations)
Reading legends, I can't tell why they go extinct, but seems related to megabeasts slaying everything they come across. (the information is a bit too spread out to figure).
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:17:30 am »

Yes, now that certain large aboveground creatures are very hard to kill, they do a lot more rampaging and extinctifying other creatures.  Probably the worldgen defaults need to be tweaked so they are more rare/weaker in combat and not the scourge of civilisations, or add in an extra option to reject worlds without certain civs. Maybe the number of caves also has an effect.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:51:59 am »

elfless

What a wonderful and beautiful word.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:07 am »

But where will my war grizzlies come from?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:34:25 am »

Elfless... I think I may have dwarfless world. Just the seven in my fort. Well, six it is now after that little cave-in accident.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:02 am »

I've noticed that goblins tend to hardly ever survive 2010 v.03

Humans, however.. my God: I've never seen them fail to dominate the map.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:46 am »

As it should be, no?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:06 pm »

As it should be, no?

The setting for DF is quite a lot like Tolkien's Middle-Earth, so my guess is that the 'correct' outcome should be humans surviving while the more magical species die out.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 12:29:11 pm »

Well humans are a size category bigger than all the other sentients and they also get iron weapons.  This means they are better than goblins and elves in worldgen combat.  Goblins and elves rely on numbers for their combat.  Dwarves get steel weapons so they have an advantage over goblins and elves (who are both now the same size).
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 02:16:38 pm »

elfless

What a wonderful and beautiful word.
Indeed...

...wait, now who do i test my megatraps on?! :'(
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 02:24:03 pm »

Indeed...

Yep, looks like you are out of luck. In unrelated news, remember how dwarven nobles tend to suffer unfortunate accidents involving fortress megatraps?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:27:19 pm »

Indeed...

Yep, looks like you are out of luck. In unrelated news, remember how dwarven nobles tend to suffer unfortunate accidents involving fortress megatraps?
Huzzah! *rebuilds*
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.