Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first mood -- so of course it's bad.  (Read 928 times)

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My first mood -- so of course it's bad.
« on: April 27, 2010, 06:50:18 pm »

So I finally get my first migrants today. A huge friggin' pile of them, too, 20 dwarves of various, mostly useless professions. I've got traders here too, so there' sjust people everywhere, doing absolutely jack...

And then someone gets a Strange Mood. I'm filled with a bit of trepidation and excitement, as I've never had one before. I go to look who it is.

It's my metalsmith.
And I have no anvil.
And I have no way to get one, as the traders are leaving.

Do I have -any- way to get through this without him dying? Because of course, that is also one of the single married couple in my fort. That's it. He's like, super-good friends with my original seven, save the one he married. Who he's even better friends with.

What can I do? I'm not above being kinda sneaky (read: modding/editing if I have to) to see how this can turn out, and I backed up my save pretty recently anyway, cause that's always a good idea.

PS: I'm playing on 40d right now. It seems to work well for me, mostly.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
Re: My first mood -- so of course it's bad.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »

If the traders were dwarves, then there's no way to get an anvil for at least half a year as far as I know (if humans even carry them).  If they were humans, you may have a very slim chance of him hanging on until the dwarven caravan gets there.  Very possible if humans arrive late summer and dwarves arrive early autumn.

If your backed up save has the dwarven traders still in the depot, you can try forbidding any anvils they still have in there.  They shouldn't pack them up.  It counts as stealing, though, and since 40d anvils are expensive, you might really offend your civ to the point of anger unless you gave them a really good deal before they left.  They won't siege like humans will, but you might be lacking migrants for a year or so,  or you might get migrants anyway.  It's not really predictable.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:01:03 pm »

Nah, the traders were elves. They didn't have squat useful, and my backup is like, right as everything with this mood was starting.

I even tried
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With apostrophes,
To my amusement.

tigger89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:05:16 pm »

I thought there was a way to mod smelter reactions in 40d.  I never got into modding, so maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that there was a raw file where you could code reactions(like, 1 wood = 2 cow meat) to work in the smelter workshop, and you could make the reactions be anything you wanted.  Since you said you're not averse to modding, maybe you could try coding a reaction to get an anvil that way.  Not sure if you'd have to regen or not, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:16:39 pm »

S'long as you modded an existing reaction (Like coal -> coke, or something, which you could turn back once you've got your anvil), you wouldn't have to regen, but the process is ever so vaguely complicated, heh.

Anyway, this is better put in modding, I guess, but I think you'd have to change the PRODUCT line of one of the reactions to something along the lines of thus: [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]. Build your anvil at a smelter, then return the reaction to whatever its product was before. Might have to take off the [FUEL] tag if you don't have access to fuel. Should work, providing I'm not forgetting something (probably obvious).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »

S'long as you modded an existing reaction (Like coal -> coke, or something, which you could turn back once you've got your anvil), you wouldn't have to regen, but the process is ever so vaguely complicated, heh.

Anyway, this is better put in modding, I guess, but I think you'd have to change the PRODUCT line of one of the reactions to something along the lines of thus: [PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]. Build your anvil at a smelter, then return the reaction to whatever its product was before. Might have to take off the [FUEL] tag if you don't have access to fuel. Should work, providing I'm not forgetting something (probably obvious).

This worked! And it promptly created a hilarious artifact. It's about chalk. It's made out of chalk. The full description:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was -highly- amusing. Thank goodness for workarounds. I do have a copy of the old save sitting nearby incase I get a huge case of the guilts and want to go back, but...c'mon! Look at that, uh...thing!

Looks like a job for that UGLY FURNITURE commercial.
With apostrophes,
To my amusement.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:19:54 pm »

Looks like your DC editing did something at least  :D
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:52:00 pm »

Yup. I got Chalky McChalkerson the Chalk of Chalk. And my poor Smith didn't even gain any XP, just some pointing and snickering from other dorfs, I think.
With apostrophes,
To my amusement.