Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A good acronym/mnemonic?  (Read 1034 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A good acronym/mnemonic?
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:07:37 am »

I was going through the DF0.31 attributes (still using .01, admittedly, but don't supposed it's changed much) and their presentation[0], and the way that I handle them on my tracking spreadsheets (yeah... I know).  With the old SAT (Strength Agility Toughness) measures having been both extended and reimplemented from the general area into what I think of as the "Is/ButIs" part of the description screen[1], where I had to use a different way of recording them than before, I realised that arbitrarily ordering the attributes for Health, Endurance, Agility, Recovery, Toughness and Strength like that, the initials (from which my spreadsheets handle the details) I get the word "HEARTS".  So I wondered if I could do the same with the "Has/ButHas" section that follows the preferences.

The trouble is, of course, is that there are (if I've properly identified all distinct and partnered qualities, on both positive and negative sides) thirteen of the blighters.  This means both a longer word (or grouping of smaller words) and a bigger issue about what initials to give to each attribute.

The following are mostly ordered (in the dwarf description) by descending order of magnitude, as per the HEARTS set, but I've provisionally boiled them down, in my mind to (alphabetically):

• A(nalysis) - Qualities mentioning "analytical abilities" and also "intellect", if I have it right, but the latter clashes with 'intuition'.
  • C(reativity) - All that I've seen/identified, on my Dwarfs, mention just that word.
  • E(mpathy) - And/or "E(motions)", but that makes no difference to initial.
  • F(ocus) - Again, seems to be a universal keyword.
  • I(ntuition) - Another seemingly universal keyword.
  • K(inesthetic Sense) - Also covers a couple of "position of his/her own body" phrases, of course, but "P" is used elsewhere.
  • L(anguages) - Apart from "very little linguistic ability", which is close enough, seems to be always a mention of "language" and/or "words" (but "W" clashes)
  • M(emory) - ASUK.
  • P(atience) - ASUK.
  • R(elationships) - Technically, I suppose, it could be "Social Relationships", but "S" would clash with the following.
  • S(patial sense) - Also seen "a great feel for the surrounding space", but haven't encoutered a complete set yet[2].
  • W(illpower) - Mentions either "will" or "willpower".

That leaves one: "Music" or "Musical Ability" (taken straight from the descriptions I've seen) both clash with Memory for its initial.  Going to both mental and physical thesauri: "Performance" clashes with Patience; "Entertainment" with Empathy; "Amusement" (or any variant on the word Audio) with Analysis (unless I could shuffle it back to "Intellect" and change "Intuition"); "Song"/"Sonorousness"/etc clashes with Spatial Sense.  So I've stumped (provisionally) for the rather less direct T(unefulness).  One way or another, at least one term needs to not be the same as a primary keyword.

So, we have ACEFIKLMPRSTW.  But what word(s) could that make?

One of the things that pops out is FLICK PRAM STEW.  Which is maybe a partial reference to Dwarven food, but isn't particularly good for all that.  Of course there are only three vowels, meaning one has to rely upon some consonant pairings (maybe triplets) /and/ judicious word gaps to eke out the phonemes.

Perhaps the solution is to turn one of the consonant descriptors into a vowel (or Y), or just to another 'rolling consonant' (although the R and L are already used) or H could modify things.  Abandoning uniqueness could work, also, but would play hell with my underlying spreadsheeting system that I use.

So, this may be a distraction from the regular discussions on this bit of the forum, but I still think it's relevant to ask here if anyone can spot any thing interesting... Perhaps even know of an intentioned initialism, from the Toady's mouth!

(Of course, the next big task[3] that I've not even tried to sort out is integrating the "When worried"/etc stuff into the personality set listings, which otherwise seems to follow the 40D layout (including the Alcohol, outdoors and PTSD[4] reflective and occasionally modifiable traits), although I really don't think it's worth trying to initialise those fields. :))

Spoiler: Footnotes (click to show/hide)

Lagren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A good acronym/mnemonic?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:07:29 am »

Let's seee....

-Lamp Wick Frets
-Wreck Flat Imps
-Elf Swamp Trick
-Elf (Track Wimps)

Are the ones that stand out to me.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:05:21 pm »

ACEFIKLMPRSTW.  But what word(s) could that make?

I rather like:

Craft Mewl-Kips (As in, cat-kipz? I herd you liek those.)
Smack Pew, Flirt (What a dwarf might do in church)

But the winner clearly is:

Track Elf Wimps! (Track them down, and kill them!)

Here's the whole list, compliments of the Internet Anagram Generator

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:49:46 am »

ACEFIKLMPRSTW.  But what word(s) could that make?
Ace mapper; fickle stew?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:53:10 am »

Interesting suggestions, there.  Did some more thinking myself, last night and I think my favourite discovery was "Smack Elf Twirp".  If you'll excuse the alternate spelling of "twerp".

Other than that, I've had "CK" left over when I made "Elf Swim Trap", wondered what "Strip Elf" would make of the remaining "Mawk C" or other combinations.  "Imp Wrecks Flat" is interesting (imp in the sense of gremlin, maybe, and you Leftpondians might also need to understand that "flat" very roughly translates to "appartment", as well as stage scenery).

There's also "Swarm: Peck, Flit", with some punctuation added.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »

Track Elf Wimps! (Track them down, and kill them!)
I support this.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

thack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »

Well, you could also have 'Harmonious' (as in how harmonious is the dwarf?) instead of 'Tunefulness' and then you'd end up with WHAM ELF PRICKS.

If in addition to above, you substitute 'Networking' (as in social networking) instead of 'Relationships', you can get CHAP KNEW FILMS  :)