Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Insanity from drowsiness df40  (Read 522 times)

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Insanity from drowsiness df40
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:37:28 am »

My hunter, after having slaughtered 11 unicorns over the course of his life (which make for good totems), finally lost a battle to one, getting his left leg mangled and his left arm in a state of long term pain.  Anyway, he was recovered and put to bed rest.  After a few seasons, he went berserk from drowsiness.  Now, I don't know how someone can be driven to the point of berserk insanity from drowsiness, but I find this to be awesome.  I wasn't aware at the time that drowsiness could cause insanity, I had to station some soldiers to quickly take him down (wasn't too hard because he hadn't healed any of his injuries yet).  Anyone have good insanity stories?

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Insanity from drowsiness df40
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:20 am »

Oh, just the usual one of how I couldn't complete a mood, and Urist McCrazy went insane, killed everyone, then drowned himself.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:57:30 am »

Don't sleep for three days, the hallucinations will start to kick in. Especially on the fourth day.

Can be pleasant and relaxing, or stressful if you have to be functional. Mostly you'll just feel disoriented, but not visually seeing stuff. Best sleep you'll ever get afterwards
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:57:36 am »

I once had a squad of seven marksdwarves. They were all still green, as they were the first batch of military that weren't wrestlers at the time. My champion wrestlers had been slain in a goblin siege [somehow], so the marksdwarves were all that was left.

So, here we are, they're shooting at targets, when "An ambush! Curse them!" appears. I go, "No problem" and send them out to deal with it. About eight seconds later I noticed that the gobbos outnumbered them nearly three to one, and that it couldn't possibly end well. As it turned out, they filled the little jerks with wooden bolts and won and survived, but not without sustaining heavy injuries. So, per the 40d medical system, they were laid in their rooms to rest.

Fast forward a few months. Booze shortage! I had forgotten to make any, and had no natural water. Apparently, giving the invalids a drink was pretty low on their priority list. So, within a game week of my noticing, all seven marksdwarves go insane from a combination of drowsiness, dehydration, and unhappiness. By some odd sort of luck, six out of the seven went stark raving mad, while the last threw himself into my magma moat. So, I had six batshit dwarves running amok, pulling levers, and generally harassing the hell out of everyone. Their antics eventually caused a tantrum spiral that later doomed the entire fort; it's just as well, because they somehow managed to mess up my magma delivery system and flooded most of the lower levels with magma.

My favorite part was how they occasionally tried to regain a semblance of their old lives by going to the archery range, only canceling the task due to being "too insane."
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:14:19 am »

I once had an already unhappy woodcutter go berzerk right in the middle of a goblin ambush. He killed them all.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:15:37 am »

In df40I had my toughest dwarf get injured. She went berserk.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but even with a mangled head, A insane kill anything that goes near it admantine covered dwarf wielding an artifact admantine sword and a exceptional quality shield is a horrible thing to have in your fort. Expecially when you've made it in the fashion that the barracks are at the entrance and to get to the back of the fort it was a one path deal and she had to go through EVERY room.

The only dwarves who survived were the ones who made it to the panic room in time. Unfortunately, the cave in the seal it off broke through to the HFS, which swarmed the map with spirits of fire. Even a berserk she dwarf can't take all of them on, she took down all but 8 of them though. But I had to reestablish my fortress from the panic room and be sure to not breach the surface again.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.