Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow-downs Query  (Read 687 times)

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
Slow-downs Query
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:50:57 pm »

I've been having some issues with my long-lived adventurer. When she goes back to her hometown for another quest from Reg Oakdips, she starts in a tavern on one side of town, and has to walk to the other side of town to Reg's house (assuming Reg is there), and if she isn't, into the fortress.

This isn't an issue, normally. But, for some reason, for the past two visits it has taken 5-10 seconds to take one step in her hometown, and absolutely nowhere else in the game. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Slow-downs Query
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:56:13 pm »

Pathfinding, for every person in the town.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:02:40 am »

Pathfinding, for every person in the town.

That and items rot and wear and that can be a significant  draw sometimes.  Also, there is likely something that is "stuck" and occupying the CPU a lot, especially deep underground.  Sometimes, the geography/physics engine gets confused and lets z-level interaction happen when it shouldn't.  I have on occasion had the option to strike a spoilerish creature 80 z-levels below me when I use shift+a, this usually is associated with poor performance.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:42 pm »

It is completely ruining my enjoyment of the game. My adventurer works for their civilization alone, and it bothers me that it takes between ten and fifteen minutes to cross town to get a new mission. It sucks all the joy out of a kill. I'm thinking of just retiring my adventurer (she has 150 kills, easily, over half of which are notable), and moving on to something else.

What do you guys (in general) recommend?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:42:55 pm »

I've had this kind of problem since 38c. It seems the more you visit any one specific site, the slower it gets. At some point you just have to move on to a new locale.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:13:22 pm »

Retire in peace, Urus Oronbakust Usirshasar Kobel "Roarsurges the Glacial Fright of Summits"
Worshipper of Naquuv Playdream, the goblin (if I recall correctly) god of gaming and torture.
Slaughterer of the followers of Naquuv Playdream
Enemy of dwarves and goblins
Razer of Warmmined
Razer of Paddlesummits
Slayer of Seventy-three notables and Forty-six insignficants.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »

You could have just moved to a different town. Going to one town enough times makes it slow down, it seems.

It might be back up to speed if you unretire the adventurer, though, I don't know.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 10:53:22 pm »

I was actually growing weary of adventuring. I need to get back into fortressing for the sake of my plantbeings.