Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So just how long is your fort lasting in df2010 before frame rate is horrid?  (Read 2667 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's how I ended my first fortress.  I called it quits around 10fps after that...

It was really funny watching the cats and cows get swept up in the flood of water, with ? marks over their heads since their pathing was all screwed up.

I diverted the river to flood The Mines, and it never finished.  whirl pools, farm animals, and happy thought causing mists. 

It was a map with no chasm, no caves, no magma, no more wild life, and zillions of narrow iron armors...
igless

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile

Yeah my last fort had a floodgate next to the river so I could flood the entrance to the caverns. A Forgotten Beast came and decided to exit through the floodgate. The drop in FPS was nearly as painful to watch as the death of my fort because the beast was made of glass and unkillable.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I'm chugging along at 15+ years now with temp/weather off on the default 100+ z-levels medium world with ~100 fps. 3 Z-levels are mined out (not strip mined of all the stone, but I got most/all of the ores and gems) and I'm working on the 4th. I've also broken into and begun exploiting the first level of HFS.

I've been exporting as much goblin garbage as the caravans can carry, and smashing all the corpses so they don't build up. I've also designated a lot of traffic zones to improve pathfinding. It helps.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Five days?  I can wait that long!  I was thinking of starting a new fortress, which would have been a shame because this one is going fairly well (well employed dwarfs, no idlers, no worries about food or drink, adequate metals and minerals, a water supply, a competent military... I haven't dug farther than one z level beneath ground level!)

As for the forbidding, it was to keep the dwarfs from wasting time picking things up.  I recently underwent another siege and lost about 15 workers... so from my high of 109 dwarfs I am down to 71 (that's a difference of 38,but not everyone that died was from this last round!)

The worker loss was from mistakenly deleting the burrow after I added everyone to it.  So imagine my surprise when Urist McCoffinplacer suddenly needed a coffin made for him, since he was out and about..
Ingame days.
I blame the pathfinding and the fact that I'm trying to play DF on my old computer that has a damn 400 mhz Celeron.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..

Try setting the path costs (in the init) to 1:1:unchangedstuff rather than 1:2:...
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Usually on my fourth year I was starting to lag tremendously. Then I took a cue from Swordoils [a community fort over on Something Awful I think] and made the caverns work differently. Made them larger, less spidery, fewer layers between them. Cut my maps from 120-odd z-levels down to the great spoiler sea on 50-60.

Consistent 100fps with 80 dwarves? Yes *please*. Plus the undergrounds look amazing now. My usual world gen is in the spoiler below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile

I die before that  :(
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I embark at 20 FPS in 2010, and DF Acc. doesnt help.  I will have to try the worls gen init above, as i have tried a number if options, and cannot get  the total Z levels down.
Pages: 1 [2]