Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Goblins Starve To Death?  (Read 4862 times)

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do Goblins Starve To Death?
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:02:22 am »

I have a bunch of Goblin Prisoners, and I figured a suitably slow death would be to lock them into a room and then have them starve to death.

But if they don't, I'm going to have to do something else.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: Do Goblins Starve To Death?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:06:07 am »

Nope, they don't need food or water.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:11:10 am »

Bollocks.

Oh well, at least I have a sealed vault prison to keep them in,  I guess I'll have to dig down get some Magma and show those bastards why you don't siege me.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:40:02 am »

Funny how sieges in DF are kind of the opposite from sieges in the real world, where the goal is not to rush the gates and directly attack the people within, but to cut off their supply lines and force them to either come out and fight you or face a slow death from starvation, while knocking down their walls with siege engines.

I guess that's why my forts never look like much on the outside. Just an extremely deep moat with a bridge that leads into a small foreboding entrance. There's basically nothing to aim a catapult at, and you've got no way to know if your siege is having any effect without daring to cross that bridge.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 01:47:54 am »

Funny how sieges in DF are kind of the opposite from sieges in the real world, where the goal is not to rush the gates and directly attack the people within, but to cut off their supply lines and force them to either come out and fight you or face a slow death from starvation, while knocking down their walls with siege engines.

I guess that's why my forts never look like much on the outside. Just an extremely deep moat with a bridge that leads into a small foreboding entrance. There's basically nothing to aim a catapult at, and you've got no way to know if your siege is having any effect without daring to cross that bridge.

That's how mine is currently.   Except there's no usable water on the map until Spring, due to drought not freezing.   However, I lost my miner and 40 dwarves and I'm down to barely scrabbling an existence.

Second question: if your miner dies, how do you get the next person you assign to being a miner to pick up the pick?   

I've already found the item stack in the fortress and set it to reclaim, but everybody seems to ignore it.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:16 am »

If you already tried mass reclaim (d -> b -> c) and they ignored it, you could try mass dumping his stuff with d -> b -> d, and if they still ignore it, you may have to make a new pick.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."