Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Racial buffs/debuffs for certain tile attributes. (And possibly path weighting)  (Read 1334 times)

Vector_Matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am requesting the ability to set certain tile attributes ('outside', 'inside', 'light', 'dark', etc.) to give buffs/debuffs to races (set via RAW tags of course). e.g. cave trolls don't fight as effectively in sunlight, or elves being better above ground than in caverns.

Additionally, but much less importantly, it would be nice if races could also adjust path weights based on tile attributes, so that they would tend to stay out of areas they are weak in if they can help it.

Obviously this would make fixing perma-light tiles a bit more important, so that people could tailor their base to their race's strengths.

Sorry if this was already suggested somewhere. A quick search turned up nothing, but I wasn't really sure what terms to use.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:07:53 pm by Vector_Matt »
So...he's the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of Darth Vader?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

This doesn't really mesh in realism-wise.   Humans aren't stronger standing on grass than they are on sand, or on top of dirt.   Elves wouldn't suddenly move slower because they're walking in mud any more than a dwarf or human would be.

Basically, having it set by a rigid tile system would be kinda kludgy, compared to having it happen naturally as a result of modelled out cause-and-effect.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

[CAVE_ADAPT] already does this, as well as scales based on the amount of time spent underground.

Vector_Matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It wouldn't depend on what material they were standing on, just whether the tile was light/dark or indoor/outdoor or above-ground/subterranean.

Also cave-adaptation is not quite the same, as that just makes adapted creatures vomit uncontrollably in the sunlight, as far as I know it has no benefit. Plus, there's no reverse-cave-adaptation which effects surface dwellers.

If cave-adaptation just debuffed instead of causing uncontrollable vomiting ("AUGH! My eyes!" vs "sunlight = hurl"), and if there was a similar "light-adaptation" ("Augh! Can't see anything in this dark cave!") that could work almost as well, and would probably be easier to implement.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:02:30 am by Vector_Matt »
So...he's the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of Darth Vader?