Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Religions and shapes!  (Read 735 times)

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Question: Religions and shapes!
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:07:51 pm »

OK, so, in my quest to find unique and interesting things to build a mod around, I had the fun idea of adding central deities to the various cultures that will hopefully be appearing in the Fantastic Locus mod I'm still trying to develop.

I've worked it out to the point where a particular god will appear in one (and only one) civilization's iconography, and that the god's name will be assigned to many different things in a culture (including several of the randomly-generated deities) without appearing in any other cultures' names.  However, this god will never be overtly worshiped.

The first question is: is it possible at this point to construct a civilization's religion in such a way as to ensure that one particular god will always be at the very top of that civilization's pantheon of gods?
The second question is: is it possible to ensure that any given object appearing in the descriptor_shape_standard file will only ever appear alone?  In other words, is there a way to ensure that a carving won't have, say, an image of 'two gungir being wielded by Odin' or 'three a sickle, an emblem of Inari'?
The second question is the one I'm more keen to have answered, though I'm fairly sure the answer to both is 'there's no way to do that'.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Religions and shapes!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:51 pm »

Unfortunately, you're correct for the first one, there is no way to do what you planned.  The religion system right now is very simplistic.  Dwarves and humans worship pantheons of ostensibly equal gods, with megabeast cults popping up from time to time.  Elves worship "forces" connected to the lands.  I'm not sure if goblins still worship the demons that rule them or not.  There's no way to fine-tune any of these setups, aside from specifying spheres a pantheon civ is guaranteed to generate gods for.
The second one could be theoretically possible, though I don't see a precedent in the raws.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:28:19 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Camkitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Religions and shapes!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:44:31 pm »

The thing is, the relevant wiki pages on this particular topic are either nonexistent or else hiding very well.  That's the main reason I thought to ask.  The tags COULD exist, but I have no clue what they are if they do.