Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smart Phones?  (Read 942 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Smart Phones?
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:20:11 pm »

So, I've been thinking about getting a smart phone. I just don't know which one! Anyone have a smart phone you really like?

Relevant stuff:
-I want to stay on my provider (T-Mobile) and I am in the US
-My area DOES have 3G
-I don't want a contract, so I will be paying the full retail price for the phone, and I don't want to go far above $300.
-If it has an on-screen keyboard rather than an actual keyboard, forget it.

I'm considering <a href="http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Cell-Phone-Detail.aspx?cell-phone=T-Mobile-Dash-3G>this one[/url].
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Phones?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »

Here's the thing, you are going to be paying the same amount per month weather you have a contract or not.

If you do get a 2 year contract then you can get this phone for free, there's an extra 275 dollars in your pocket. The phone company is then going to want to renew your contract in a year and a half so you are only really stuck for that time.

Now if you are on contract and still feel like paying up to 300$ you can get the best android phone around http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:21 am »

'Tis not the case. If I had a contract, I would spend $10 extra per month for the same plan. It doesn't matter anyways; my complete lack of a credit score disqualifies me from any sort of contract.

I don't really like the android phones, I think they're kind of ugly. What I'm looking at now is the latest Blackberry.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:11:10 pm »

I have the Droid on verizon. Works and runs great. Best phone I've ever had. The apps are a bit bare bones but the marketplace is relatively new. Didn't pay a cent for it. My aunt is one of the top sales reps in the state. Lots of perks and discounts. Guess I'm just lucky. Anyway, I think you get what you pay for with the smartphones. I can browse the forums while in class or on the road. The only problem is battery life with some phones. While running apps, the battery will drain fairly quick.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »

I don't have a phone, because I am a misanthropic hermit, but I don't know if I'd want one. Droid steadily reminds me of the HAL 2000 but without the kickass voice. It may have the same murderous intent though.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »

Dash is Windows Mobile.

At present (WP7 may change that, but not for a few years after release at least), Windows Mobile is not where you want to be if you want a decent phone. Android is probably your best bet at present; I hear good things about the Motorola CLIQ.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:30:48 am »

I was looking at the Google phone, but then the sales representative mentioned that it had Windows Mobile. I guess my expression made him realize that it was futile to try to sell me the phone; he took one look at my face and directed me towards the Blackberries.

I guess that wanting a smartphone was just kind of a one-week urge; I'm glad I didn't go through with it. I will keep this thread open as it appears that people are having some interesting discussions about phones in general.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:46:28 am »

I was looking at the Google phone, but then the sales representative mentioned that it had Windows Mobile. I guess my expression made him realize that it was futile to try to sell me the phone; he took one look at my face and directed me towards the Blackberries.
Google phone runs android, not windows mobile

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:14 pm »

Oh. Wait. It was the T-Mobile phone. Silly me.