Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31_03/31_04 - Military Dwarves Won't work  (Read 624 times)

StrongAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31_03/31_04 - Military Dwarves Won't work
« on: May 29, 2010, 08:52:43 am »

So I tried to create a militia squad out of my miners.  I have three miners, and I put them all in one squad.  Now two of them won't work, and insist on training.  If I take away their barracks or even pull them out of the military they just sit idly even though there's work to be done!  >:( The squad schedule is totally inactive.

So far I've tried:
  • Removing marking their barracks no training
  • Removing the barracks
  • Removing them from the squad
  • Deleting the squad
  • Letting them train for a while (two seasons)
  • Turning mining on and off.  Both while in the military and while not.

Does anyone have a workaround?

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31_03/31_04 - Military Dwarves Won't work
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:06:33 am »

Ive given up with trying to understand how the military somehow works. My effort now goes into fantastic amount of traps and cisterns filled with water and magma to pour into my fort entrances; best way to kill off invaders and farm obsidian imo.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:22:19 am »

Actually, no: I've noticed that any dwarf, after being drafted into the military, stops doing any regular job (I've "lost" a legendary woodcutter and a legendary craftsman this way)... what I do is to wait for the first wave of beggars to arrive, select the most useless ones (let's say 10 of them), give them all the same easy nickname and then recruit them in the militia.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45:46 am »

This is odd - my military dwarves work when they're not on duty.

Here's something that may help - use the (s)quads menu, choose the squad, then tell them to (m)ove somewhere.
Then cancel the order (with the o key i think) and they should return to being inactive (and thus start work again).