Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Machine Wars Steam Punk Mod.  (Read 1011 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Machine Wars Steam Punk Mod.
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:20:07 am »

Since my underwater dwarves are beyond reach at the moment. I have set my eyes on a new task.

I give you the vision of Machine Wars!
The only clear vision I have so far is
1. The Constructs, A robot creature with some kind of steam for blood.
2. The Bioforms, A wierd mutatade creature kind strong enough to fight these metalic machines bare handed.

The world will be roughly the same.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Machine Wars Steam Punk Mod.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:44:33 am »

Ah you beat me to this idea lol

But I can try and out do your idea lol (of the machines)

I'll need to make steam/booze run war machines to fight my new creature. And the name Constructs reminds me of Kohan Kings of War and the books Keys to the Kingdom.

but what had halted my machines being modded is that there is still no large creature spawning reactions as I wanted it so if you had the right parts and materials you could build one for your fortress, maybe I'll go with just random spawning machines lol

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:02:45 pm »

I'd say it makes more sense to have a race of robots which eat coal, and use water/booze as coolant.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:16 pm »

The easiest way of having large number of them would be making them a civ. If you want to avoid that you could make them underground creatures (but you might run into certain problems with that.) for the sake of having some for yourself, you could make it so you can embark with them and make them breed, cause as it stands right now, you can't make creatures through reactions cept for vermin.

So civ, underground creature, standard creature (travels in large packs?) or embark capable "pets"
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:19:15 pm »

I will probably use the theory from "Twisted Metal".

A mother and father robot produce a child. The Father provides the wire, and the mother Twist the wire in to the patern that they desire, the twist will determine the personality.

So the robots will work kinda like any ordinary civ.

The pure blood humans will take the role of a dwarf/goblin combo. They will live in caves/fortresses under ground, and will kidnap robots to use as work suppliment etc.

As for the idea of eating coal, I might use that, but I want them to feel steam punky so large gears and hydralics is the goal.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?