Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tade Depot - Mass Selection of Goods to be Moved  (Read 862 times)

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
Tade Depot - Mass Selection of Goods to be Moved
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:19:48 am »

I'd like to suggest a method of selecting large amounts of "goods to be moved" for the trade depot.

Perhaps something along the lines of a "start" tag and "end" tag (for lack of better names) where all items caught in between are designated "to be moved". Storing items in bins, designating specific stockpiles, and using filters have helped; yet I feel that this would make trading much easier for the player.

This would save on the down-enter-down-enter monotony and also allow for fortresses to more easily to mass produce goods for trading.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Tade Depot - Mass Selection of Goods to be Moved
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:42:59 am »

Excellent suggestion but hell, why not just have a "select all"/"deselect all" that operates on the filtered list of goods?  The string filtering is flexible enough that you could find, for instance, all narrow GCS silk clothing, select all of it with a single keystroke, and then do another string search for all socks or whatever and select all of those too, or deselect all from the unfiltered list to cancel everything.

The reasons I suggest this as an alternative to start/end tags are 1) those sound a little messy interface-wise and 2) items are rarely sorted in a useful order in my experience, which means the stuff I don't want is often in the middle of a block of stuff I DO want.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:50:22 am by Footkerchief »

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:21:16 am »

The 'start-end' was just an example and I'm sure it has it's uses. Yet I like your method of 'filtered select all' much better. Would save me a lot of time and sanity in designating all of those stone crafts to get to the depot.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:45:54 pm »

Suggestion posted in the "vote for suggestions" thread.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:13:11 pm »

Some brilliant person suggested warehouses and a trade marker.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26261.msg308522;topicseen#msg308522
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer