Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, um, Megabeasts don't seem all that MEGA...  (Read 1050 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
So, um, Megabeasts don't seem all that MEGA...
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:18:17 pm »

It's kinda incongruous with legends mode where
no one seems to be able to kill any mega or semimegabeast that they're such pushovers in adventure mode.

I fought a Hydra with an axedwarf and chopped off 5 heads/necks before it could lay a tooth on me (it quickly died of bloodloss). In a different game with a human swordsman my guy near insta-crippled a dragon by stabbing it in all four legs in the first five hits, breaking the bones. In fact said dragon died from getting stabbed in the legs for some reason. 'Struck down' instead of 'bled to death', and all i ever hit was it's legs and a foot, weird.

This was all with starting stats and gear, with no better than bismuth bronze weapons. Semimegas are also pushovers. I haven't gotten down to -redacted- with a non-modded adventurer yet, they'll probably be a bit more challenging with all the poison gas and junk.

Edit: All my guys follow the following skill formula:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/list]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:25:44 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, um, Megabeasts don't seem all that MEGA...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:05 pm »

Why bother putting points into fighter? Wrestle a giant for a few turns and fighter and wrestling shoot up to legendary.  :P

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:49:59 pm »

Hydras are renowned for being pushovers.
I had an Expert dodger, novice striker punch one until it choked on its own vomit.
Which neck choked, I have no Idea ???

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:14:46 pm »

Heh, not adventure mode, but definetly megabeast related. I was checking out a cave with a new fort and uncovered a hydra down there. I decided to have some fun and get my dwarves eaten. However, shortly after it killed the sixth dwarf, the hydra suddenly dropped dead. I was confused about this, looked in the combat report and I think the woodcutter (the 6th dwarf to die) got a lucky hit on one of the legs since I later checked legends and it said that it bled to death, killed by the dwarf which it had killed moments before. Guess what the dwarf was wielding.... a copper axe.

I've messed around with hydras in the Arena and they can easily kill most anything, at least anything that doesn't have a weapon. So it came as a surprise that it was felled THAT easily, and I already knew that hydras are known for dying easily.

In that world, aside from the demons and the Hydra I had killed, only two megabeasts had been killed in the 300 years. One was an ocean titan composed of flame (yes I know, completely contradictory) which was struck down by the first thing it confronted. The other was killed by a demon it made the mistake of attacking. Granted the demon vs titan is a more comparable fight since demons can be semi-megas in their own right.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:50:30 pm »

In that world, aside from the demons and the Hydra I had killed, only two megabeasts had been killed in the 300 years. One was an ocean titan composed of flame (yes I know, completely contradictory) which was struck down by the first thing it confronted. The other was killed by a demon it made the mistake of attacking. Granted the demon vs titan is a more comparable fight since demons can be semi-megas in their own right.

For me it's the demons that usually get killed by titans/megabeasts. Actually it's usually bronze colossi that beat them down which kinda makes sense. Titans are really a hit or miss thing because of the randomness too.

On a semi-related note, i'm sad that syndromes aren't supported in the RAWs WorldGen. I modded in a wyvern semi-megabeast with a sting that (originally unintentionally) causes permanent blindness. I want random blind ex-adventurers bumping around the place.  :P

Edit: Arg brainfart.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:40:12 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:28:13 am »

For me it's the demons that usually get killed by titans/megabeasts. Actually it's usually bronze colossi that beat them down which kinda makes sense. Titans are really a hit or miss thing because of the randomness too.

On a semi-related note, i'm sad that syndromes aren't supported in the RAWs. I modded in a wyvern semi-megabeast with a sting that (originally unintentionally) causes permanent blindness. I want random blind ex-adventurers bumping around the place.  :P

Megabeasts get random syndromes so there's always the chance that one will have that syndrome.