Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a few questions...  (Read 399 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a few questions...
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:17:14 am »

1) lol,wut? (Less of a question and more of a amusing thing)

How exactly did my newborn go insane and why is a newborn expected to clean itself? XD

2) So, I formed together a rather pathetic squad in a rush due to a sudden Kobolt theif. A few missing limbs and one dead Kobolt later the danger was gone and I go back to building my pointless tower. However, a few hours later, more or less my entire map is covered in blood now, both the Kobolt and the Dwarf's (who didn't even die) blood. Literally there is about 1/5th of the surface is just covered in blood due to my dwarves stepping on the Kobolt's corpse. I seem to remember reading you can have your dwarves clean things now, but I can't figure out how to make them. How?

3) An elven caravan came to my fortress, I figured 'Oh, Elves, I should kill them.' naturally. I get my rather pathetic squad and order them to kill, thinking it would be easier (and more fun) then making some complex trap or walling them in or something. I give the order to kill one of them in the same way I gave the order to kill the Kobolts and animals. The dwarves (three of them) all run up to the Elf, then run away, then run up to it, then run away, never actually attacking it.  : \

Why?

Thank you in advanced.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:23:21 am »

You should post in gameplay questions next time.

Anyway, I don't know why your baby is insane, and the blood thing is currently a bug. Maybe you can do something with mass designations to counter it (Designations->Set Building Proper) but I doubt it and can't check ATM.

You can't kill friendlies directly, unfortunately, so I guess you have to fell enough trees to make the elves send ambush parties to your fort to be able to engage them in direct combat...or maybe use elaborate traps to catch them, then drive them insane, THEN kill them.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:55:11 am »

Babies can go insane when their mothers die.  They'll then crawl all over the map, and die if they manage to crawl off a cliff or something.  Not sure what happens if they survive a year to make it to child status.  I have confirmed that a child can lose his/her mother and not go insane, if you have enough good stuff in the fort to bring 'em back from the brink.

Dwarves will clean only "inside" areas.  So the blood track should stop as soon as it goes underground.  I had a 5 tile wide diagonal path on the surface painted bright red in my last fort.  I wonder if the elves still notice that items are bloody and get uptight about it.  Probably do, given they're elves...

Sinnyil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:32 pm »

1)  Babies ability to do nothing an get carried around and not need food or drink to survive is coding wise treated as an insanity.  Its a bug that they're getting the clean self job...which they can't do, cause they're babies.

2)  Clean is an extremely low priority job, and only will be done indoors.  And it won't help.  There will be blood everywhere always and you just have to get used to it until that particular bug is fixed.

3)  You can't issue kill orders for friendlies/merchants/diplomats.  Well, you can but your dwarves won't listen.
Sinnyil cancels rest:  Playing dwarf fortress.