Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Your first death (likely spoilers)  (Read 6860 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your first death (likely spoilers)
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2010, 03:02:04 pm »

Expedition leader/clerk sitting at his desk, minding his own business...
GIANT BAT AATTAAAAACK

And so I learned about caverns being inhabited.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »

First death in DF2010? Lame. Bled to death. By magma. Someone would thought something about heat being bigger problem, but ah well.

Cause: I was bored, waiting for less buggy release. Sooo, time to play and experiment! First with magma: vulcanoes sometime are pipes in sky (every z-level same? boring). Breach. Watch as world is flooded. Slowly. Booring. Only highlight was wagon and booze on fire.

I tried (on other site) also my first cave-in method to breach through an aquifer. It took a while (damn pathfiding bug). Worked... in rather messy way. Incidentally, I embarked on glacier and it was funny to watch splashed water freeze instantly in air, making a rather interesting (and temporary) internal decoration of fresh hole in ground. Yes, I watched it step by step.

Strangely, everyone survived it (hole was next to wagon and dust was everywhere). Including this suicidal retarded miner that chanelled that last tile holding whole block - of course standing on this block. What a ride!

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2010, 12:49:37 am »

My first death was pretty typical. A dwarf decided to retreat from society and wanted to make some fancy metal thing, I think. He was a novice in metalsmithing and maybe one other craft skill.

Anyway, after a month or so where I finally figured out what his craft skill probably was, but lacked an anvil to build it, as I was waiting for my 120-storey magma pump tower to complete before trading for one (in the end, I deconstructed it off a dwarven trading caravan when they seemed adamant that 450• profit is being too cheap), the dwarf went insane. Since I was not sure whether he would end up berserk, and having an insane dwarf is bad for morale, I had the military chop him up and dump him in the moat*.

My second death was more interesting. In building my magma pump tower, I had the miners channel out the space needed for the gears and axles to power the pumps. I guess, at one point, the outpost liaison, being the curious type, decided that was a good time to shadow the miners. In doing so, he probably was standing on a spot one was channeling, and then fell most of the way down the tower to his death. However, I didn't actually see him die, I only found out when I got an announcement that the bottom gear assembly construction was suspended, because an object was blocking it. Turned out to be most of the outpost liaison's corpse. I had all the pieces dumped in the moat.

*I typically don't bother with burial or coffins, instead I just set up a graveyard stockpile for dwarf corpses to rot, or just order them dumped somewhere. Moats are handy for this.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:01:52 am by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Bladedancer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2010, 01:54:22 pm »

My first death was when one of my hunters thought it was a great idea to hunt down a cougar unarmed.
He put up a good wrestle, then died.

Five dwarfs went over to pick up his stuff.

Cougar 6, Dorfs 0.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

The first death in my first fortress with the new build was nothing impressive, but it suggests industrial accidents are a lot more dangerous that they were before:

I was trying to excavate a ventilation shaft above my butcher's shop so that the body parts wouldn't generate miasma if they rotted.

After digging ramps through several z-levels, I finished with the miner standing on a single tile just above the shop.  As there was only a 2 z-level drop from there (down to the butcher's shop, then through the floor to the level below) and as my miner was a "very tough" dwarf who "heals quickly", I decided to risk channeling out the tile she was standing on.

Big mistake.

My miner crashed through the butcher's shop and onto the floor below it, smashing her spine and leaving the biggest pool of blood I've ever seen from such a minor accident, and then suffocated before anyone arrived to rescue her.

He husband (a lye maker who I had conscripted) was already upset about the draft and being hungry, thirsty, and rained on threw a tantrum, smashed one of the beds in the barracks, and then went and killed one of my jewlers (who, ironically, was just in the process of setting down a coffin for the dead miner).

Shortly after the bereaved husband went melancholy. 

Not long after, his friend (my other squadie) also went insane, and after they had both died of thirst, their squad leader (my militia commander) also fell melancholy and died.

Easily the most pathetic military I've ever had the misfortune to see in Dwarf Fortress.  (Well, maybe the 80-strong reclaim army who lost about 4 dwarfs in retaking a fort, then got wiped out in the ensuing spiral of tantruming, accidental death, and insanity could give them competition.)

Fortunately the jewler had no friends, and the military was its own exclusive clique, so the deaths stopped there.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

iwog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2010, 05:43:43 pm »

I was expanding my farming level with some nice outdoor/indoor plots when a miner channelled through the wrong piece in the wrong order, a 1x1 square of punched a hole through 7 levels of my fort. On its way down it mashed a war dog, clipped a hauler having their dinner and crushed 2 epic level miners on the bottom level. The hauler bled to death as I hadn't set up a hospital properly at this point, one of the miners was my leader/broker and the other was my stock keeper/manager.

The remaining 25 dwarfs then proceeded to starve to death as I couldn't check the stock level or appoint a new leader to check the stock level before being set upon by an angry grizzly bear who happened to wander in. The bear then tore through my weakened 21(4 didn't make it and starved), as I could equip a squad to fight him off as my dwarfs needed an armourer to equip them, which I couldn't designate as my leader had died and the dwarfs hadn't chosen a new one yet.

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2010, 06:15:21 pm »

Stupid Giant Toad ate everybody.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2010, 08:38:55 pm »

I sent some poorly trained wrestlers to take on some reptile men.  Both sides suffered massive casualties.  One of the reptile men was friendly for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]