Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boredom? Or slight boredom rather..  (Read 881 times)

T600

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boredom? Or slight boredom rather..
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:02:11 pm »

ok, so I am making my fort based around animals and war animals.. but thats kind of impossible because I needed to farm to make booze.. w/e I am cool with that.. Anyway I don't have any animals to make war animals out of! All I a bull, a couple horses and a donkey. Thats it. and some cats. I am getting rather bored because I seem to be at that point where I am fully self sufficient. My fort is not that old though.. I am not even out of year 1 and I still have no military. My point is, I don't even know whether I should dig deeper or not. There seems no point too because I can have a fully functioning fort on <5 z-levels.

Any ideas? My fort just seems "too" good you know? No problems to spice it up, and I don't wana cause problems because thats no fun. Any ideas? Should I jsut wait until my fort gets older?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom? Or slight boredom rather..
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:06:04 pm »

Hi!

First of all, you will want to wait for the Elven caravan. If you are lucky, they will bring a variety of trainable wild animals (depends on the size of their civ).

Another aspect are potential wild animals. For instance, I am on a map often visited by elephants and giant felines, and my untrained giant tigers got into a bad habit of hunting elephants, which in turn caused a fatality among my dwarves.

Other than that, you can still go for digging out the mineral veins making your way down to the caverns.

That is all I can think of.

Deathworks

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:14 pm »

I would personally call a fort like that "boring". You haven't set yourself up with a challenge. Not really. As long as Elves trade with you you'll have War beast fodder and eventually you'll probably succumb to a goblin siege when they get up to numbers that overwhelm. But you can accomplish that in 40d, you don't need the new version to do that.

DF2010 is all about the underground. By not tapping into the three caverns between you and THE ANSWERtm you are missing out on a very large part of the new experience. You want a challenge? Leave yourself open to the sieges but also set up entrances to each of the three caverns, build your military to deal with what may come and see how long you can last. Because really, DF2010's main goal is to survive. Against all odds survive. You, sir, have set odds that would shame a Corellian. Raise the bar my man! BE A DWARF!!!
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

If you're playing DF2010, ambushes and sieges are going to be a very significant challenge.

But, if you're looking for a reason to expand into new industries, to expand your fort, and to dig deeper... well, there's no real reason that you HAVE to do those things. People do it because they find it fun to design and build an epic fort, to have their dwarves master certain industries, to discover the wonders of the underground and to test their mettle against its challenges. But, in the end, if you as an individual don't find it fun to do those things, that's fine too. Just play until you stop having fun, and then do something else. If you still want to play DF, maybe try some mods. There are already a few out for DF2010, and of course there are many cool and challenging mods available for 40d.

T600

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:16:41 pm »

If you're playing DF2010, ambushes and sieges are going to be a very significant challenge.

But, if you're looking for a reason to expand into new industries, to expand your fort, and to dig deeper... well, there's no real reason that you HAVE to do those things. People do it because they find it fun to design and build an epic fort, to have their dwarves master certain industries, to discover the wonders of the underground and to test their mettle against its challenges. But, in the end, if you as an individual don't find it fun to do those things, that's fine too. Just play until you stop having fun, and then do something else. If you still want to play DF, maybe try some mods. There are already a few out for DF2010, and of course there are many cool and challenging mods available for 40d.

I personally don't like being able to do all industries, but it seems like you always need to embark in places that ahve trees,water, and obviously stone and places to dig out.

I think I embark with to many luxuries, like a river and trees. What are some fun things I can do with water? Water seems so much more fun than magma. Currently they only thing I use the river for is a well and irrigation.. which I only needed to do once :(

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:23:39 pm »

What are some fun things I can do with water? Water seems so much more fun than magma. Currently they only thing I use the river for is a well and irrigation.. which I only needed to do once :(

Here's a cool trap for enemies that you can make with water! The diagram is in cross-section; the reservoir and "kill tank" are quite long halls. http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/kmcdunn/Drown.jpg

When enemies are approaching your fortress, raise the drawbridge so that they have to march through your water trap to get to your fort, and then use water as a weapon of war. Pulling some levers will trap the enemies in the "kill tank" section, and then cause a torrent of water to come up through the grates in the floor, filling the room and drowning them.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:34:39 am »

Pro tip: keep water pressure in mind and make very very sure that you've closed off your fort from the tank. Back in 40d I made a water trap like that once. Big cavern with a winding path through it, and a big watertower on top of it so I could flush in a large quantity of water. When I tested the trap for the first time, I saw the entire tower empty into the trap. Funny, since the tower held more water than the trap so I just figured I miscalculated. And then it hit me: I forgot to close the floodgate that allowed access to the rest of my fortress!

My watertower fed from an aquifer through a dual pump stack (I tend to overengineer stuff). By the time I figured out my mistake the bottom half of my fortress was flooded. I let it run anyway because I was going to savescrum and a few seconds later a big flood poured out my front entrance turning my outside fort into a swimming pool :) Most my dwarves survived because they were in the penthouse area but my entire indurstry was well below the waterlevel :)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 02:18:22 pm »

Hydra, I just keep thinking about how much of a pain in the butt it would be if you had tower caps growing throughout your whole fort because of this. :)
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.