Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: weapons of any metal  (Read 485 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
weapons of any metal
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:27:08 am »

ok, I'm a total newbie about the raw and modding of dwarf fortress

I'd like to make all kind of metals available for smithing, so that I can make my silver guards with their proper armor

where should I start?
I happily went to search into the raws for the forge or the reactions to make up stuff, but I can't found them anywhere so I guess that part is hardcoded or something, so I went into the metal description and found that ITEMS_WEAPON tag, and added it to every metal.

but now they don't show up into the forge menu; what I'm missing?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weapons of any metal
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:46:32 am »

The raws are saved with your game, so if you want to change something in your current fortress, you have to go to ~/data/save/region1/inorganic_metal.txt.  The region is whichever one you're playing in right now.  If you change the top-level raws, the changes will take effect the next time you gen a new world.

You'll need [ITEMS_ARMOR] to make armor.  I tend to copy the entire line from iron, so I can make weapons, armor, anvils, etc from everything except bismuth and pig iron. Especially useful in my current fort, since the only ore I've found is gold.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: weapons of any metal
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:48:50 am »

thank you! forgot about the cloned raws and armor stuff. I'll try asap :D