Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Geometry! Trigonometry! Circles!  (Read 9107 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Geometry! Trigonometry! Circles!
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 11:33:05 am »

A piece of paper stuck through a party hat at an oblique angle forms a line shaped like a parabola. It would seem that a great many formulas can be replicated in this way.

Yes!  Good job.  Now, an extension question: how do we get a straight line?  A point?

(Also, I'm sorry if I sound vaguely patronizing, but I had to withdraw from school and so I'm running low on my saved up reserves of mathematics.  I'm honestly excited to see you learning this)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 12:27:47 pm »

Let's see... a point could be gotten by sliding the paper between the two cones (where the tips come together) and a line could be formed by placing the paper along one edge of a cone, through the point where the cones touch, and down the opposite side of the other cone.

(It's okay. It's nice to have someone to talk to about math on the intertubes.)

EDIT: I'm sorry to hear you had to withdraw from school. What happened?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:16:21 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 05:03:15 pm »

Being some flavor of what seems to be bipolar happened.  At length.  When I realized that it felt like my mind was about to shatter, I left school and declared I'd have to come back and fight another day after becoming more experienced and less insane.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 05:34:36 pm »

Ouch. One of my stepsisters is bipolar, and its rough from what I hear. Good luck on your experience-gaining journey.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:40 pm »

As a high school student in Calculus, I shall attempt to find a keyboard so as join this discussion.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 07:11:45 pm »

Welcome to the thread! An idea came to me today. If I can get a few people together, it'd be fun to learn math together. Obviously, this would have to be math that none of us have learned before, so we could be getting into some pretty wacky stuff.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 07:35:40 pm »

Welcome to the thread! An idea came to me today. If I can get a few people together, it'd be fun to learn math together. Obviously, this would have to be math that none of us have learned before, so we could be getting into some pretty wacky stuff.

... *raises hand*

*shot*

In more seriousness, I'd be willing to help supervise such a group, if you wanted.  I know a bit of math.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 10:57:44 am »

If you want to see some neat stuff, try linear algebra.  If you want to learn more about the inner workings of maths, try Abstract Algebra or Real Analysis.  These are all college level courses, but it's not too hard to get a grasp on linear algebra.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 11:02:47 am »

Ooooh if you want to learn some new maths, I have a shitload of calculus resources left over from my maths 301 days if you want. Not just the boring stuff either, but advanced differential complex analysis, Bessel functions, tensor algebra, all sorts of fun stuff.

:D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:07 am »

Conic sections are awesome. One thing that really fascinates me about them is the variety of different ways they can be defined: each one can be thought of as the intersection of a plane and a pair of cones, or as the graph of an equation on the xy-plane, or even as a compass-and-straightedge Euclidean construction! (Note: technically, you can't construct a parabola, hyperbola, or ellipse using compass and straightedge, but you can construct an arbitrary point that's guaranteed to be on a parabola, hyperbola, or ellipse, and if you do that enough times you get a pretty good picture of the curve.)

Challenge: while you're playing around with the paper and party hats, see if you can figure out the exact requirements on their arrangement that determines whether they produce a hyperbola, parabola, or ellipse. At which angles do they switch over? Why?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]