Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to trigger a siege?  (Read 893 times)

delphey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to trigger a siege?
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:57 pm »

I'm a noob; its going into the third year of my first 'test' fort and I kinda feel like starting over.  But, I haven't had a single ambush or siege to test my mettle.

Anybody know how to make one happen on command?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to trigger a siege?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:50:16 pm »

I'm a noob; its going into the third year of my first 'test' fort and I kinda feel like starting over.  But, I haven't had a single ambush or siege to test my mettle.

Anybody know how to make one happen on command?
Find some very valuable material. For example: gold, platinum, etc.
Build a forge to make those native rocks into metal
Sell.
EDIT:You could also P.O. the elves/humans, causing them  to attack.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:57:28 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:27 pm »

For a siege, I'm pretty sure you need 80 dwarves, too.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:58:48 pm »

expand your fort, make lots of swag, attract immigrants by doing so, and finally attract gobbos by doing so.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:00:07 pm »

Do you have a population of 80?  Have you messed around with the init.txt file? Specifically did you turn sieges off via [INVADERS:NO]?

If you turned it off and then turned it back on it takes a while for sieges to start up.  Increase your wealth.  I'd recommend making various industries.  Maybe cooking.

Are you looking for actual sieges or just ambushes?  Are you receiving thieves and snatchers (if not you're probably not near any hostile civilizations)?

Speaking of init.txt, you should turn off the economy.  Nobody likes it.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:22 pm »

Do you have a population of 80?  Have you messed around with the init.txt file? Specifically did you turn sieges off via [INVADERS:NO]?

If you turned it off and then turned it back on it takes a while for sieges to start up.  Increase your wealth.  I'd recommend making various industries.  Maybe cooking.

Are you looking for actual sieges or just ambushes?  Are you receiving thieves and snatchers (if not you're probably not near any hostile civilizations)?

Speaking of init.txt, you should turn off the economy.  Nobody likes it.
Because communism is perfect for a dwarf fortress.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »

Or he's just tired of the legendaries whoring up all his platinum/gold/silver crafts.

delphey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »

Well soon after posting this, I had 3 ambushes in a row, with the only injury a silver crossbow bolt to the head of a dwarf gathering wood outside.  Also had immigrants just before for the first time in awhile.  Must have been all the wealth generated from when I deconstructed the trade depot after the greedy humans wanted 3.5k in profit before they would trade!

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:33:41 pm »

Short of satisfying mandates, crafts are a waste of gold, platinum, and silver!

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

Short of satisfying mandates, crafts are a waste of gold, platinum, and silver!

Untrue in the current version. Right now so much metal and a 100% chance of magma is found on even a 2x2 site that it is perfectly reasonable to craft everything into crowns, sceptres, and rings. One of the best ways to increase your wealth in DF2010 is to smelt every ore you find into a bar, and then into something to sell or use.

Really, the question is begged: why would you WANT a seige in the current version?
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 12:37:23 am »

Some of us have got the military to work fairly well.  I had legendary fighters and high master axedwarves before my first goblin ambush showed up. 

I've been wondering where my sieges were, but reading this thread I had a doh moment realizing that I arbitrarily set my population limit to 75 so I could keep a nice framerate.  Yeah, I just raised that to 80.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney