Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Do Not Dump Barrels On Themselves  (Read 1047 times)

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Do Not Dump Barrels On Themselves
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:29:51 am »

They dive into the booze.  This proven by my new manager, who has lost the ability to grasp, but not the ability to drink. 

(For those curious about his inability to grasp, the lesson to learn is that one should not attempt to move a naked mole dog from its cage one tile over to the desired chain by picking up the mole dog by its teeth with one's throat. 

Now granted, he did manage to chain the mole dog successfully, but another dwarf attempting the same tactic with a cave crocodile did not fair so well.)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Do Not Dump Barrels On Themselves
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:42:40 am »

Lefty McDwarf, Gem Cutter, can one up you there. In a freak construction accident, both his arms were broken, though the left one managed to heal recently, despite my current dwarves' medical ineptitude.

While laying in the hospital bed, he rolled over and said to Urist McMason, wounded in the same accident, "Dude, I just got the best idea in the world!"

He then went to create a perfectly cut tiger iron. With no ability to grasp. I can only assume he had another dwarf tie a chisel to his beard. Either that, or he cut it with his teeth.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:35 am »

While laying in the hospital bed, he rolled over and said to Urist McMason, wounded in the same accident, "Dude, I just got the best idea in the world!"

I totally love this idea of how moods work. I know it's a little more extreme than that... but it just sounds awesome.

Also... If dwarves dump themselves in... can dwarves drink if they have no legs? Maybe THEN they lift it.... how does a dwarf drink that neither has legs nor arms... How does Urist McStumpy drink his booze.

My best guess is, that all dwarves have emergency straws with them.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:58:21 am »

I got the best barrel story.  My manager fell down into the cavern, past the leaking aquifer, because of the cave-in I just triggered.  So after "riding the falls" in his barrel (and getting a very happy thought from "seeing a waterfall"), he's listed as drowning.  But, he somehow manages to use the barrel as a floatation device and float in 6/7 water until it he arrives at 3/7 water and can walk.

Speaking of aquifers leaking into caverns, will the water leave the map via the subterranean network, or will it fill and become a new aquifer?

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:10:15 am »

I got the best barrel story.  My manager fell down into the cavern, past the leaking aquifer, because of the cave-in I just triggered.  So after "riding the falls" in his barrel (and getting a very happy thought from "seeing a waterfall"), he's listed as drowning.  But, he somehow manages to use the barrel as a floatation device and float in 6/7 water until it he arrives at 3/7 water and can walk.

Speaking of aquifers leaking into caverns, will the water leave the map via the subterranean network, or will it fill and become a new aquifer?

First off: Awesome.
Secondly: It depends whether or not the caverns reach the edge of the map or connect to a chasm/bottomless pit/etc. If it does, the water will drain over the edge/into the pit. If not, it can and will fill.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:16:20 am »

well of course they don't. dwarves have never used mugs either. they simply dunk their beard into the barrel and absorb the alcohol

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:30:20 am »

That explains why my bookkeepers always have a barrel of booze with them while they are sitting at their desks, working.  In order to survive the long hours required to reach the requested level of accuracy, they leave their beards draped into a barrel set adjacent to their chair.  This wicks booze into them like one of those automatic plant waterers.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »

Also... If dwarves dump themselves in... can dwarves drink if they have no legs? Maybe THEN they lift it.... how does a dwarf drink that neither has legs nor arms... How does Urist McStumpy drink his booze.

Well in older versions, dwarves with no legs were permanently bed-ridden... Now with crutches I'm not sure but I guess they need at least part of an arm to lean on the crutch?

How many limbs does a dwarf need to function? We must run some tests...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »

Now with crutches I'm not sure but I guess they need at least part of an arm to lean on the crutch?
Sorry for offtopic, but did anyone actually get crutches work? Because all my legless dorfs are bed-ridden, as always.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »

I can always imagine my bookkeeper lugging a barrel of dwarven rum in to the office and locking the door...you know something serious is going down when you Bring Your Own Barrel to the office.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.