Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood in the smelting process?  (Read 1108 times)

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood in the smelting process?
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:06:27 am »

Alright, so this is my goal... my dwarves make a folded steel from two different steels I have in my game, if they happen to have a dragon carcass they can infuse some dragony goodness into it. This is what I've got:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:DRAGON_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make dragon steel bars]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:300:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[REAGENT:B:300:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:CRUCIBLE_STEEL]
[REAGENT:C:1:BARREL:NONE:NONE:NONE]<dragon's blood>[BARREL][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:DRAGON_STEEL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

No idea how to get blood into the smelter, or if it's possible to specifically choose a dragon's blood (though I suppose it would be possible to make that a unique type of blood for dragons).  Alternatively if barrels are still a no-go for reactions, how would I go about adding some ground dragon bones a dragon heart to the mix?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:23:04 am by Fetus4188 »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Blood in the smelting process?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:09:21 am »

Right now, containers are bugged for use as reagents... dragon hearts are solid, though, so it should work. Can't recall the exact tag, but it probably involves CORPSEPIECE.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:28:58 am »

A dragon heart would be something like MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:DRAGON:HEART.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:13:08 pm »

Dragon hearts will not be set aside though, so will probably either rot or be eaten on accident.

You could have the dragon drop something else upon death, or use something like dragon leather or dragon bones.

I like the idea of dragon bones.

Dragon bone steel? Dragon bones dipped in steel, with the metal filling up all of the little voids in the bone.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »

I did something similar in DIG DEEPER .40D

Just get the dragons to drop something on death, like how element-men drop statues. Then use this as your reagent. Beware, as to my knowledge you cannot have a creature die and leave a corpse as well as drop an item, so this item will replace the corpse and you will lose all the dragon blood/bones/meat that you used to get.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:49:42 pm »

Can you have a creature drop multiple things? If so, you could have the dragon drop a dragon CORPSE and your special reagent.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »

Hmm, what about making a reaction to process the dragon heart into a dozen or so unrottable dragon extracts, and then each dragon steel reaction consuming one of those. This way you could set the workshop to immediately process the dragon heart as soon as the dragon dies.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 06:06:21 pm »

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:DRAGON_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make dragon steel bars]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:450:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[REAGENT:B:450:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:CRUCIBLE_STEEL]
[REAGENT:C:1:MEAT:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:DRAGON:HEART]
[PRODUCT:100:6:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:DRAGON_STEEL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Works!  A dragon drops a heart stack of 4 so this will get 24 dragon steel, which seems like a fair amount.

I'll see about adding a reaction that turns a dragon heart into a stack of "vial of dragon's blood" and give it the [AUTOMATIC] token.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »

Hmm, what about making a reaction to process the dragon heart into a dozen or so unrottable dragon extracts, and then each dragon steel reaction consuming one of those. This way you could set the workshop to immediately process the dragon heart as soon as the dragon dies.

That would work. Make sure that the product does not rot and is non-edible so it'll stick around.

Dragons are rare enough that you won't exactly be able to mass produce this steel, so for the 1 dragon you get you need to make the most out of it.

...unless of course you have modded your dragons so they spawn as frequently as hoary marmots. That could be fun.  ;D