Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice prison  (Read 1204 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice prison
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »

So...can oceans freeze?

If so, it would be possible to build a small prison out of ice in the middle of the ocean during the winter, and when spring comes around...
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
Re: Ice prison
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:16 am »

a) construction are indestructible.
b) If you build it without support, it just cavein.
c) To build support, you will need to dig a foundation pit 2X size of ocean depth. During ONE season. Or else. See aquifers in wiki.
d) Prison is useless. Planting on sea floor, though...

e) It is dwarvenly enough. DO IT.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:25:34 am »

Better yet, wait untll the sea freezes, then turn weather off, this will make the sea permanently frozen, untill you finish construction.

Then wait until summer, and once again turn of temperature, so you have a prisen in the middle of the ocean.

Better yet, so it with an entire fort!
Better yet, do it with a modded in flying race!
BETTER YET! I WILL REGARDLESS!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:41:08 am »

Saltwater doesn't freeze in DF. So no.

But it's a different matter if you build on a big freshwater lake. I remember reading about someone having a freshwater ocean too, which is cool. Water which does freeze does so all the way down to the bottom (AFAIK), so you could conceivably carve out a multistory prison while you're at it.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:08:14 am »

I think the OP was implying that the 'prison' would melt in spring, and drown the prisoners..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:23:02 am »

The arctic oceans that I've seen were simply deserts of sand (or whatever), no ice or water anywhere to be seen. I only had the beach tiles of arctic oceans yet, though.

And since it's a freezing environment, the water that you pump out of your aquifer will be frozen all the year around.

Edit: my mistake. I just checked out the deeper, non-beach parts of an arctic ocean, and there the ice was.

Hmm... this spells awesome. Glacier+arctic deep sea...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:10:48 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:30:07 am »

The arctic oceans that I've seen were simply deserts of sand (or whatever), no ice or water anywhere to be seen. I only had the beach tiles of arctic oceans yet, though.

And since it's a freezing environment, the water that you pump out of your aquifer will be frozen all the year around.

Edit: my mistake. I just checked out the deeper, non-beach parts of an arctic ocean, and there the ice was.

Hmm... this spells awesome. Glacier+arctic deep sea...

Interesting find; in my experience (40d) it seemed that salt water WOULD freeze,but not inside the border of the ocean biome. Once you get it past the beach shore, it'll freeze. Underwater ice deposits sounds neat, though...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 07:45:15 am »

Yes, this has changed in DF2010. One more observation: if your arctic ocean is very deep (mine is about 30 z-levels deep), then the deepest parts of it might not be frozen. It's probably unlikely that any fishes will spawn there though.

But I got some walrusses crawl around near the entrance of my ice cave now, which is quite on the middle of a part of the arctic sea itself. I hope they're not very aggressive.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:04 am »

I personally think just building a fortress on top of a frozen ocean sounds awesome, without the melting and all that. It could be like the Fortress of Solitude, only with Dwarves!

Also, I think I have a freshwater ocean in one of my worlds, haven't tried embarking there yet though.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 11:50:59 am »

It would also be interesting to allow your only entrance to be over frozen water, so you're only accessible when its cold
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 12:00:45 pm »

Why do I somehow picture Alcatraz upon reading through this thread?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.