Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manorlizard: My First Fortress  (Read 1753 times)

Lagginator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Manorlizard: My First Fortress
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:15:03 pm »

Greetings gentlemen, I started my first fortress a couple days ago, and I have a question.

Is this what you call fun?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When the goblins came, they slaughtered all that stood in their way.  Except of course, for poor Lokum.  Out of a thriving fortress of over fifty dwarves, she was the last hedgehog to remain alive.  Despite the goblins beating her so hard that one of her teeth flew clear across the brook...

...and despite sustaining "minor injuries" (if one can call bleeding from what I believe to be literally every orifice to be minor injuries)...

...she had a strangely content look on her face.  I like to think that sometime during the two months of constant beating she received she was able to find inner peace.  Or maybe it was just a shock-induced coma from the thirty-five splatters and one smear of her own blood she was covered in.

Oh, and I did refer to poor Lokum Tabarurist (Faithfuldaggers) as a hedgehog earlier.  That was because she ended up with twenty-two iron bolts, two copper bolts, and one copper arrow sticking out of her.

Again, I ask you: What precisely is "fun" about a poor little dwarf being filled with a quiver of crossbow bolts and then beaten to a bloody pulp by a gang of goblins for two months straight?

P.S. I uploaded some pictures to this DFMA thing: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8562-manorlizard
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:18:49 pm by Lagginator »

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manorlizard: My First Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »

I laughed uncontrollably when I saw that wall of red text.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:46:04 pm »

I laughed for approximately three hours straight when I saw that wall of red text.

Fix'd

WELCOME TO THE FORA. ENJOY YOUR PSYCHOPATHIC INSANITY.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:14 pm »

Did she survive?

EDIT: Only in DF could that question even be asked...

Lagginator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:01:05 am »

Did she survive?

EDIT: Only in DF could that question even be asked...

No, I was hoping the goblins would get tired and just leave, but a goblin with a real weapon finally came and put her out of her misery.

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:04:38 pm »

Yes that is exactly what fun means.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »

Having a dorf injured in (almost) all the ways possible to dwarfkind - yes, almost, because the fat didn't melt - it very fun, indeed. That's practically the definition.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:32 pm »

Now, I only started a few days weeks (That long already?) ago myself, and have to experience any REAL fun, but that is definitely fun. Also fun is breaking every joint of every elf in a village. Or collapsing half a mountain on your fortress as a contingency plan. This is a fun game. We do fun things in it.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »

Yes, this is what we call "fun." Why?

Because these dwarves are our lemmings. We lead, and they follow unfailingly, even when their faith in their leaders costs them their lives. Why is this fun? Because we have complete control. We are able to laugh at these dwarves' suffering. We laugh because we subject them to varying grotesqueries and watch them suffer. We laugh as others subject them to such grotesqueries, and we especially laugh when the results surprise us. A dwarven pincushion? Made of Win.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:06:25 pm »

It's Fun because next time you can have even more Fun doing that to the goblins!