Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning up stone  (Read 616 times)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
Cleaning up stone
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:12:29 pm »

So I have a fetish for clean forts, I can't stand all the spare stone lying around. So at first I was using k to mark each stone, and that was unbearable.

Then I read someone's tip that you can use d>b>d to mass designate dumping, and that was a lot better.

I recently figured out an even better way, which I assume many others know, but wanted to share just in case.

My fort is located above large chalk layers, so that's the only stone I use for anything, construction, furniture, mechanisms, etc. So basically, when my miners have dug out an area there's lots of chalk, felsite, orthoclase etc strewn all over the place and even using the designate can take forever.

So instead I just go into stocks (via z menu), go to stone, and dump entire categories. It's great! My haulers take all the useless garbage to the the dump where I can atomize it, leaving every piece of chalk untouched. Right now my stone menu has about 1600 chalk, some metal ores, and 3 pieces of granite I left in my magma tunnel to build walls so I don't have to haul stone out there when I'm ready to breach.

When I want to quantum stockpile the extra chalk, I delete my atom-dump, designate a new dump near my mason's shop, and I can use the mass designate tool to dump an entire layer. Since it's clear of other stone already, I get all the chalk in one fell swoop. They dump it, then I reclaim it and voila, quantum stockpile and a nice clean fort.

Hope this helps someone :)

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
Re: Cleaning up stone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:19:57 pm »

A decent solution, but I feel that I have to ask...

Which of the following do you have?
1:[SPEED:1] Dwarves
2:>1000 FPS
3:Immense patience
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:30:08 pm »

I have a good machine and usually come in around 60 fps. I also have a lot of patience. I'm in my fourth year currently and am waiting for my magma channel to be cleared of stone before breaching the pipe, and have only just started training my first squad of wrestlers. I tend to play a defensive game and luckily have only had 2 ambushes and 3 deaths so far - 1 to a failed mood due to not having an anvil in my first year, and the other two hastily drafted recruits who died during the aforementioned ambushes. Luckily they were a weaver and a cheesemaker, industries I haven't set up yet.

The first thing I do on embark is channel out a large area and lock my dwarves inside. They only lower the drawbridge to trade, or cut wood - hunting is turned off (for now) and fishers have to fish inside the boundary. I've built a wall in year three and a large above ground tower/barracks with fortifications for when I get some marksdwarves.

I limit my population to about 100. I almost got a king in my last fort but I had made some mistakes in layout and started over in a new location. Getting a king is my goal for this new fort, along with getting every industry up and running - although things like weaving/clothing and alchemy/soap are going to happen last.

Cleaning up all the stone also helps my framerate. I've noticed on previous maps where I left it there, I would have 5-6k stone strewed around and my fps would drop to 10. Since I started atomizing everything I don't intend to use, that problem has largely disappeared. I don't really understand why a large array of stone objects would slow it down, but then I don't have access to the source code. Maybe it affects pathing somehow.

Anyway yeah it's probably mostly patience.

Pheonix_RE

• Bay Watcher
  • (sic)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:43:39 pm »

I think the fps going down to a crawl is because there is so many objects to account for, even if said objects are very simple.
Eh. I only dump stone from areas that don't work well when filled with stone - stockpiles and those sort of things. In any case there's still not enough dorfs in my fortresses, usually, to justify such cleanups - not when there's a deep aquifer to breach and bedrooms to build.