Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Axiety problems  (Read 1193 times)

ArneHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Axiety problems
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:35:38 am »

Hello.

I really don't know how smart this is, but seeing some other good threads here I thought I might as well.

I have anxiety problems. Really bad anxiety problems. It has come to the point where I have to psyche myself up before checking my bank account due to an offhand comment by my father. He had transferred some money to it on my birthday and I had forgotten to check it afterwards. He then commented on it, some time after. Now I begin to tic like a madman whenever I even think about checking it (I have Asperger's Syndrome, tics I am used to).

That in itself is not too bad, but what is worse is when it comes to school work or university work. I can barely stand at this point to think too hard about anything relating to the university or coursework. Some of it may be related to my Asperger's Syndrome, a psychologist I had some conversations with told me as much. But I cannot be certain how many of my problems in this area are things I have to live with, how many are perfectly normal and how many are things that I can overcome, or otherwise be rid of. So I wanted to know if anyone else have similar problems and if any of them are solvable. Any suggestion or experiences? Knowing that I am not alone with this would be nice.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Axiety problems
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:56:59 am »

I have anxiety, and yes it sucks. I don't have Aspergers though. It's an unconscious anxiety, as I don't have any conscious issues with the events. Everyone screams and points to cognitive desensitization and medication. CD doesn't help for me, and medication occasionally helps lower it.

Not sure what direction to take to solve it atm...but no you're not alone.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:10:05 pm »

I have anxiety as well, I just deal with it though, heh.

It gets less worse as you keep going.  I've never really had a solution to it besides just keep moving forward.

ArneHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:08 pm »

Thank you. I guess I just have to stick with it and talk to my psychiatrist.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:01:39 pm »

Honestly, as a psych student, clinical psychologist seem to be there to diagnose problems and be there for people to vent. They don't seem to actually solve an issue. Psychiatrists diagnose and prescribe medication (and clinical psychology).

I know and research a lot about depression, but I'm not exactly sure how anxiety works.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:04:44 pm »

One way to deal with anxiety is to just force yourself to do it anyways.  :D

I was having severe anxiety attacks about trying to fix all of my mistakes in the past. I would just keep walking away from things and trying to ignore them hoping they would get better. It of course never did work. Walking away from problems never fixes them.

I eventually just figured out that I needed to confront them regardless of how crippling the anxiety was. So I did!

The anxiety was utterly crippling when I was doing it, I was actually stopping to puke in every garbage can I passed by.  :o

But I did it!

And felt a helluva lot better once it was done. Once you confront the anxiety it does become much less. Hiding from your problems never works, and only makes your problems get worse. Basically, just do it. Yes I know its hard to do and the anxiety may have your stomach in knots and give you a bad case of vertigo. Do it anyways. You'll feel better after doing it.  :)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »

I advise failing. Get used to things sucking for a while, it won't seem to matter as much. Then, you can get valuable life experience pulling yourself out of the hole you dug.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 03:33:41 pm »

There are always reasons for anxiety, as well as the degree it is overblown.

You need to talk with someone and get alinged my friend.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »

I advise failing. Get used to things sucking for a while, it won't seem to matter as much. Then, you can get valuable life experience pulling yourself out of the hole you dug.

Why wait? Waiting makes it harder, not easier.

Just do it. Its hard, yes. It sucks, yes. Just do it anyways. Thats how you make things better. The longer they get put off the harder it will be to fix it when you finally can't ignore it any longer.