Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toggle Caravans On/Off  (Read 503 times)

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toggle Caravans On/Off
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »

I would like an in-game toggle of caravans, like maybe an order "caravans welcome" or something.  Because often I play 20+ years without trading ever, and I get kind of OCD ragey when a trader standing around at some the edge of the map then gets ambushed by 200 orcs and torn to shreds when he is unwanted in the first place.  Especially since his crap gets strewn all over and is not forbidden by default no matter the death-item forbid setting.  No littering please!

Also my traders seem to go insane with an alarming frequency, contributing to the litter.  Crazy elves.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Toggle Caravans On/Off
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:32:23 pm »

A problem which cannot be solved is no fun.

In this case, caravans getting slaughtered/going insane because you can't get a military by anything short of militarizing ten out of eleven dwarves... is not fun.

If caravans were turned off in-game by a request, it would need to incur some sort of penalty. Refusing to trade with a civ could be considered an act of war (embargo) and along those lines incur the anger of the Mountainhome, who want you to trade with other civs.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:37:50 pm »

Caravans going insane has never been related to military issue for me.  They're just standing around, unmolested, waiting for me to build a depot.  I don't, so instead of just leaving they instead go, say, berserk, and the elf spends the next half a year punching his mule to death.  It's really quite hilarious, if only it weren't for the littering. ;)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »

Tried removing trade capacity from everything?

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:41:16 pm »

No, but perhaps I should for future games.  Regardless, it would be nice if it were only a temporary measure, until I'm comfortable with my fort's progress.