Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miner takes nap while he should be drowning, news at 11.  (Read 1588 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Miner takes nap while he should be drowning, news at 11.
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:33:33 pm »

So I'm taking out the last rock to the river, to get my well going and my underground farm space muddied. My miner takes out the first of two tiles and the river comes rushing in. Sadly, he wasn't fast enough to mine out the second tile before he was in 7/7.

He scrambled to the exit, a mere 6 tiles and a stairwell away. He crawled to the stairwell, gasping, fighting for his life...

And promptly decided the half-flooded stairwell was an excellent place to nap out after such an epic struggle for survival. While the entire river was rushing past him, the stair well created just z-drop for mist, and left a space for him to hang out without losing his mind...apparently.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miner takes nap while he should be drowning, news at 11.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:44 pm »

I love this game.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 02:44:50 pm »

I've seen this as well. If there is no bed for the dwarf to sleep in, if he wants to take a nap then he'll take a nap.

Even if that is just two seconds after breaching a raging river, normally perfectly safe assuming he doesn't stick around. He'll just lay down and take a nap while the water floods to 7/7 around him and drown while taking his nap.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »

Makes perfect sense to me, like in the movies when a shipwreck survivor makes it to the shore of some island, first thing he does is sleep.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:45:04 pm »

Makes perfect sense to me, like in the movies when a shipwreck survivor makes it to the shore of some island, first thing he does is sleep.
Well, dwarves don't even bother to get out of the water.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:47:32 pm »

Well, dwarves don't even bother to get out of the water.

If i lived in the average dorf fortress,I wouldn't either.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:17 pm »

I think that many of us take dwarf fortress for granted, and when confronted with something this hilarious, never think further than ASCII characters on a screen.

But, just this once, treat yourself to the mental imagine of what happened, here. A darkened tunnel, angry waters washing over carved stone stairs, and there, his beard sweeping in the current, a dwarf is sleeping, curled up on a kitten leather pillow, sucking his thumb softly.

Just watch out for carp.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:34:20 pm »

The carp are his teddy bears.
Just watch out for the mouth.