Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need help with data recovery.  (Read 931 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with data recovery.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 08:25:05 pm »

It's not just to "make the connection tighter". A hard drive inside your computer is not connected via USB. The enclosure needs to include circuitry in order to hook up the IDE/SATA/whatever hard drive to a USB connection. It's not a simple matter of something like a PS/2->USB converter dongle or anything like that. In some cases, it also needs to supply its own power from a wall outlet, although this might not be the case with laptop hard drives.

The reason i said 'break out' was literally because he would have to BREAK OUT the HD. I doubt he wants to smash up his working laptop but i see no reason why he shouldnt his old one(presuming its 'old' because he no longer needs it anymore).
Laptops are made compact, you generally cant just take bits out as needed.

This is honestly really bad advice, and I say that so strongly because you're advising him to destroy his equipment. Breaking equipment apart entirely just because there's something wrong with it is a pretty terrible move, and even if he doesn't need it at all anymore, then Christ, he could at least give it to someone or something like that.

And as other people have said (including myself, before you even said that), most laptops make the hard drive relatively accessible. Breaking things should not be necessary.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2]