Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heat, stairs, and irrigation.  (Read 540 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Heat, stairs, and irrigation.
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:36 am »

Alright, what kind of effects does scorching have, aside from no murky pools?

Is there any way to remove downward stairs, replace the with up/downs, or add up stairs to an existing cleared space underground?

And finally, how do you irrigate farms? I'm worried that if I block off a room with floodgates, and open up a tunnel to the river, my miner will drown. And how do you control the gates? Also, do hatches block water from going downward?

Thanks in advance.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heat, stairs, and irrigation.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:28:54 am »

You can build stairs under the b-C menu. No need to remove downward stairs, just build over them. Use doors instead of flood gates for controlling water: dig right up to the edge of the river, place a door on the last tile, dig the last piece of stone away. The miner will run through the door from the torrent, closing it after him. Now lock the door to stop any accidents, hook it to a lever, then build a fortification across it (b-C-F) to stop creepy crawlies (fortification allows water and arrows to pass, but not creatures). Now you have a controlled water channel. Check out the wiki, specifically the getting started pages for more explanation. In fact it will answer all those questions.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:07:37 am »

If it is scorching enough then you can have a variety of effects, ranging from rivers drying up to dwarves (and lots of other things) instantly melting.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:39:44 am »

Thanks, I'll check the wiki.

And really? I'm on a scorching map, and still have all my animals and dwarves. The only dry thing is the murky ponds. However, there aren't any fishies.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:14 am »

Another way to avoid drowning is to have the miner chop out the last square of soil/rock from above via channeling.

And yes, hatches keep water from flowing downward.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:59:45 am »

Yeah, but that means you have to go outside!!!!! What do you think this is, Elf Fortress?!