Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anesthesia fears  (Read 4087 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anesthesia fears
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 05:15:14 pm »

That sounds like a pretty horrible injury, mate.

I have a horrible fear of... mirrors. More precisely, mirrors at night while I'm alone.

Hehe, its funny when you see a mirror that you're not expecting. For a split second you see an image in the mirror think its another person there. Then your brain catches up and goes "oh hey, thats just yourself". Certainly is eerie for that split second until your brain catches up to your eyes. And at night, such as when you just woke up to pee and you're not firing on all cylinders, it does happen more often.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 05:37:37 pm »

The other time I had surgery was an appendectomy (laparoscopic).  The appendicitis was a lot more painful than anything resulting from the surgery, although the barium enema sucked.  Also, when I woke up, they brought me an NES with a giant stack of games, including Battletoads and motherfucking River City Ransom.  It was awesome.

WHAT HOSPITAL?

New Hanover Hospital in Wilmington, NC, I think.

Antisthenes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 09:39:41 pm »

As someone who has had major re-constructive surgery, you really don't have to fear anesthesia. I've even had them mess up a bit. When you undergo a biggish surgery, they give you a paralytic AFTER you are out, and for me, they did it before i was completely passed out. Needless to say, it was a terrifying experience, felt like needles were digging into every part of my lower body (where they administered it). The assholes even had the tenacity to lie to my face about it afterwards (found out what happened from my primary physician after the fact). Point of the story is this; dont go to a podunk hospital in western washington like i did. Get yerself some place a wee bit classy.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 09:57:05 pm »

It really depends on what anesthesic substance your anesthesiologist (or the hospital) is going to administer on you. Each combination of anesthesic agents has its ins and outs of body respsonse (and individual response also varies a lot). As an example, Ketamine is particullary notorious on inducing dissociative states and nightmares, however it is advised to use because it has a good cardiorespiratory stability. Propofol on the other hand (yeah that one of MJ) not only causes a good anesthesic state with fast recovery without groggyness, but also causes good dreams. Erotic ones rather, up to the point that out of liability causes anesthesiologists should not administer propofol on a patient if they are alone in the room, lest the patient dream of sexual abuse or what. On the downside it causes significant respiratory depression.

I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 03:24:51 pm »

Ketamine and other dissociative are also prone to cause out of body experiences. The drug basically causes you to hallucinate and dream up all sorts of wacky stuff, like you died and are floating above your body looking down at the room.

This is why ketamine (and related drugs) are taken recreationally despite being illegal to use in such a manner. All sorts of crazy hallucinations and dreams.   :o

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 04:13:43 pm »

If anyone here has noticed, I haven't been posting for the past few days. Last Tuesday, while working out, I was preforming some lunges to build leg strength. In the middle of my third lunge, me, and two of my friends in the room heard a very loud and sickening pop. My leg bend sideways from the knee and back, and I was taken to the ER.

Just today, the results of my MRI have shown that my kneecap is dislocated and has chipped in two places as well as sustained some surface damage, almost all the soft tissue around my knee is torn, and blood is pooling inside of it. This will require surgery this coming Thursday, and I am horrified of anesthesia.

Some years ago, I had broken my arm, and it was severe enough to require surgery. I was put on anesthesia to render me unconscious during the surgery, and coming out of it was an absolutely terrifying experience. I now have a phobia that I consider irrational, but am unable to kick it nonetheless. Perhaps the community could share their phobias?

I would say, think of it as waking up and being able to talk to all your buddies on the DF forums again! Seriously, though, I would think that thinking of it as sleep would help.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »

Look at the bright side; You aren't in the hospital of one of your fortresses.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 09:12:57 pm »

As someone who has had major re-constructive surgery, you really don't have to fear anesthesia. I've even had them mess up a bit. When you undergo a biggish surgery, they give you a paralytic AFTER you are out, and for me, they did it before i was completely passed out. Needless to say, it was a terrifying experience, felt like needles were digging into every part of my lower body (where they administered it). The assholes even had the tenacity to lie to my face about it afterwards (found out what happened from my primary physician after the fact). Point of the story is this; dont go to a podunk hospital in western washington like i did. Get yerself some place a wee bit classy.

Nothing will make the man get over his phobia better than this story.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 2 [3]